Welcome to the conclusion of our 1866 exclusive translation of ‘The History of the Town of Veselý’ from the Czech genealogy volumes of Amerikán Národní Kalendář. Today’s edition has some tremendous surnames in it!
Enjoy and get ready for more great exclusives in the days to come!
Amerikán Národní Kalendář
Year: 1866, Volume XIX
‘The History of the Town of Veselý’
“In 1878, Mr. Fr. Šticha opened a second inn in the town. Mr. Šimota of Veselý and Mr. Jos. Maertz of New Prague opened a third store in the western part of the town in 1882; they did well from the beginning. In 1884, Mr. Maertz became a partner of the New Prague Bank. He thus sold his part of the store to Mr. Fra. Rachač of New Prague.
A third inn was opened in 1879 by Mr. Jan Pávek, who, in 1881, sold it to Mr. M. Trenda. In 1882, Mr. Jos. Vrána opened a fourth inn, and in 1883, Mr. Frant. Pavlíček a fifth one, both of which were in the western part of town. The sixth and last inn was opened in the eastern part of town by Mr. Vác. Jiskra.
In 1884, Mr. Fr. Štěpán, the son of the second Czech settler Jan Štěpán and the grandson of the first Czech settler Blažej Štěpán, opened a third general store in town. That same year, Mr. Jos. Kapoun and Mr. Jan Žižka opened a new brewery. The first beer was sold on January 5th, 1885.
The level of education in the town is very low. There is only a sectarian catholic school, in which a limited amount of English is taught and the main subject is religion. The closest public schools are either one and a half miles to the east or three miles to the northwest. Thanks to the priest, however, they are not well attended, as he has been recruiting pupils for the catholic school, where their young brains are being clouded. In 1881, Father Přibyl established a branch of the Catholic Central Union here. The first officers were: president: Jos. Matyáš; deputy: Vojt. Smíšek; secretary: Václav Smíšek; treasurer: Josef Trnka; marshal: Franta Smíšek; bearer: Jos. Vaněk
National life, unfortunately, does not exist here, thanks to the control maintained by the local church.
The local folk are still clouded and enjoy their sweet sleep. There are, however, a few awakened citizens, among them especially the excellent citizens Václav Drozda, F. Žižka and Tomáš Oukrop.
These few citizens tried to provoke their compatriots to take some action. They wanted to establish an order of the Č.S.P.S. and they were supported by Mr. Jan Pávek and Mr. Jan Víta. These five citizens organized a meeting, during which these additional members signed up: Jos. Macháček, Václ. Chmel, Frant. Machovský, Jan Pávek, Frant. Pávek, Jan Karas, Václav Pecka, Jan Kosobud and Václav Macháček. However, during a second meeting, held fourteen days later, F. Machovský, J. Kosobud, V. Pecka and V. Macháček were absent. Mr. Tomek signed up at the second meeting. The founding of the club was adjourned to the third meeting, which was only attended by eight members, thus nothing could be discussed due to the low attendance. Mr. Drozda suggested that a Readers Club be founded instead of the Č.S.P.S. and that each member should contribute $2 to purchase books and journal subscriptions. This was enthusiastically welcomed by Mr. Tomek and Mr. Oukrop. The meeting was again adjourned for eight days. In eight days, however, only Mr. Drozda, Mr. Oukrop and Mr. Žižka arrived for the meeting. Of course, this was not a way to accomplish anything and the whole idea had to be abandoned. This, as usual, was primarily thanks to the priest.”