Welcome to our newest exclusive translation from the Czech genealogy masterpieces known as the annual journals, Amerikán Národní Kalendář!
We begin this wonderful 39 page series with a look at the establishment of one of the earliest Bohemian societies in Pishelville, Nebraska.
This article alone brings us dozens of Czech families and tells us of their involvement in the Czech benevolent society, Č.S.P.S.
We know you will enjoy this new exclusive from Onward To Our Past®!
Amerikán Národní Kalendář
Volume IX, Year 1886, Pages 153-191
Ze zkušeností Čechů Amerických
Pořáda F. B. Zdrůbek
“From the Experiences of American Czechs”
Compiled by F. B Zdrůbek
“The beginnings of societies in Pishelville, Nebraska”
By J. F. Lundák
“It was in 1878, when F. Vonásek and shortly after Vác. Hvizdálek arrived among the immigrants in the Pishelville area. The national spirit started to rise and people started to talk about establishing an order of the Czecho-Slavic Protective Society (Č.S.P.S.). Both newly arrived gentlemen belonged to the Order Equality no. 14 in Chicago, Illinois. A meeting was announced for January 11, 1880 in the hall of A. Pišl, where the creation of a club, called Prokop Veliký, was announced. The first members were: Vác. Hvizdálek, Jan Bárta, F. Vonásek, Ant. Pišl, M. Mudra, Jan Růžička, Jos. Wirth and Emil Pišl. Vác. Hvizdálek was elected president and F. Vonásek became the secretary. The second meeting of the club was announced for January 18, 1880 and then every second Sunday of the month.
At the second meeting the club was joined by F. Veselý and Vác. Veselý and at the third it was joined by Čeněk Jílek, Fr. Tuch, Jos. Dryák, Hynek Marshal and Karel Marshal –16 members in total. They applied to join the order of the Č.S.P.S. and they were accepted under the name “Sladkovský” order no. 61. The order was installed on May 16, 1880 and they chose br. Pišl’s hall for meetings. They named the order ”Sladkovský“ in honor of a well-known and loyal defender of the Czech nation. During the installation meeting the club was joined by Fr. Tuša. The honorable special envoy of the Grand Order of Nebraska, Jan Lenger, was present at the installation and several brothers from the order ”Bílá Hora“ no. 43 attended. These were: Václav Randa, Jan Pavlík, Fr. Klíma, Vác. Bamruk and Josef Pavlík. Later the meetings were rescheduled to every first Sunday of the month.
In the following meeting the club was joined by Jan Mladý. The order then thrived until the meeting of October 3, 1880 when one of the 18 members, Jan Tuša, resigned leaving the club with only 17 members. That did not end the trouble, however. The club also had to look for a new meeting hall. The brother F. Marshal volunteered to loan his home for that purpose and the problem was temporarily solved. Some members, however, did not agree with this solution and resigned. This left the club, so to speak, on a “half broken bridge”. ”
Stay with us as we conclude this initial portion of this magnificent series of articles on Czechs in America as reported in 1886!
Onward To Our Past®