Section Eight of the Hugo Chotek English Translation for Genealogy and History
Pages 109 to 122
Of roughly 200 students attending the school, 50 are in the third grade, 60 in the second and 90 in the first two.
Prepared by Jos. J. Bulíček
Czech Sunday School in the 40th Ward in the Western Part of Cleveland.
On November 10 of 1878 Žižka, Order No. 9 of Č.S.P.S. voted to establish a free-thinking Czech Sunday school.
For this purpose Jan Sprostý agreed to offer one of his rooms while Václav Humel and Antonín Dizner agreed to dedicate their time until a proper teacher could be found.
The order then elected a committee to run the school while the order’s chairman acted as the main supervisor over what was taught and the entire committee.
The school began teaching in December of 1878, with a class attendance of 37 pupils and a focus on reading, writing and grammar. The committee purchased 50 books, while students who lacked the funds to buy the necessary books were allowed to borrow them.
The first quarterly report revealed revenues of $33.29 and expenditures of $27.95, the revenues coming from voluntary contributions and from the order itself.
As time passed the increasing number of students meant that the single room was no longer adequate, so larger facilities were sought, and the committee managed to receive approval from the city’s schools director to use one of their rooms for an indefinite period.
The students started to be taught in one of the city’s schools in March of this year, the classes progressing successfully.
In April the committee found a proper teacher in the name of L. Čapek and agreed to pay him $1.50 per class, each class attended by 45 pupils. After a year Mr. Čapek was replaced by J. A. Hospodský.
On March 13 the students practiced their singing in public, and a new teacher, J. L. Luňák, was appointed on October 16 of 1882. The number of students had climbed to 60, which the teacher divided into two classes.
The teacher organized a play by the students with good success, its proceeds amounting to $14.50, which the committee running the school used to cover the school’s costs. The Žižka order donated $10 for the students and a further $59.50 to the school committee to cover school costs.
The report showed that the student play Král Liliputánský </italics for titles of plays> was organized that year, with $10 donated by the Žižka order going towards the children. During this year the students were taught on 40 Sundays between the hours of 8am and noon.
In 1884 the order donated an amount of $78.75, students were taught on 45 Sundays and the teacher was required to submit a report to the committee every three months on the school’s progress. That year the school’s revenues amounted to $162.41, with expenditures of $134.95.
In 1885 the school experienced some difficulty when they discovered that the school building was to be torn down so that a new and better one could be built in its place. Regular classes were no longer possible, so the teacher arranged for a position in the 24th ward, forcing the committee to look for a replacement.
On November 22, L. Čapek began to teach two classes on a regular basis. In the same year choir performances were given bringing in proceeds of $25.63. The school’s annual revenues amounted to $99.81, with expenditures totaling $94.90.
In 1886 the committee still had no room in which to continue with its regular classes, numbering two at that time.
The order contributed $100.25 in monthly payments for the classes. Other details are not recorded clearly and cannot be mentioned here.
In the following year, 1887, the school committee failed to come to an agreement with its teacher, L. Čapek, concerning the curriculum and other matters, so it approached Fr. Sakryd, a widely recognized, well liked and active teacher. After the holidays Sakryd replaced Čapek and divided the students into two classes according to their abilities, bringing life back into the school and attracting more students. Now the students, the teacher and the school committee felt comfortable in their new environment. Besides the voluntary contributions donated by the committee this year, the order itself donated an amount of $57.75.
In 1888 both the parents of the students and the Žižka order were quite pleased with Fr. Sakryd’s work.
In April a student performance, lectures and choirs were organized and it was the first time the students’ progress was displayed in public, while a special area was set aside to show the students’ exercise books. Frant. Sakryd paid careful attention to his teaching and focused mostly on reading, writing and singing, <repetition of writing removed, was there a fourth subject?> with some attention towards Czech history concerning such prominent figures as Amose Komenský and Jan Hus. By this time the number of students had climbed to 80, separated into two classes. Because the number of students continued to grow, both the committee and the order saw it fit to open a second, single-class school with a new teacher. On May 8 the order decided to approach all the free-thinking Czech clubs for their help for this purpose, and this was duly done.
The following orders and clubs stepped forward to help out:
The Zlatá Praha (Golden Prague) Sokol Physical Education Club; the Vlastimil Forester’s Court (Lesníci Dvůr); the Č.S.P.S. Czech Brotherhood (Čeští Bratří) order; Č.S.P.S. Josef, Order No. 1; the Czechoslav order; the Václav II Knights (Rytíři); and the Vratislava and Eliška Pešková female clubs.
These orders and clubs, including the Žižka order, appointed a representative to sit on the new committee, which immediately sent a request to all of them for a 5 cent quarterly donation for every student. The previous committee surrendered all of its assets, books, table, heater and other belongings. The new committee also ruled to open a single-class school in the neighboring 39th ward, so that the students would not have so far to go.
At that time a Czech lawyer by the name of A. Melichar was sitting on the city’s school council. The school committee asked this council for the use of a room in the 38th and 40th wards, and with the help of several Czechs the school council agreed to make available one city school classroom in every ward where Czechs lived, to be used to teach Czech free-thinking Sunday schools.
J. V. Luňák was appointed to teach in the 39th ward, while the teachers worked together to organize theatrical performances with singing.
Student enrolment grew to 130 while revenues for the year amounted to $105.84 and expenditures $86.
In 1889 the Jan Hus order, the Prague Knights of Labor (Rytířů Práce Praha) union and the Slavoš amateur choir stepped forward to donate $18.40. Because the 5 cent fee was not enough to cover costs, the committee was forced to raise this to 10 cents.
In September the committee organized an outing for the benefit of the school and pulled in proceeds of $24. Over the Christmas holidays the students performed a play, while the Slavoš amateur choir prepared a richly decorated Christmas tree and presents for the children. Proceeds from the play amounted to $25.87, with total revenues for the year at $234.58, expenditures $199.44.
In 1890 the number of students in the 39th ward climbed to 60 the group was split into two classes. The committee also made some amendments, deciding to accept only children older than eight, as the school was getting crowded and the younger students generally needed more attention.
The teacher Mr. Luňák successfully presented a student performance of Love for One’s Country (Láska k vlasti), pulling in proceeds of $18.36. Some of the clubs had stopped supporting the school, forcing the committee to help organize the performances in order to cover costs.
In 1891 the school supervisors issued a very favorable report on the students’ progress, and more and more students joined the school. On April 8 of the same year teacher František Sakryd organized a play with students living in the 40th ward, called Birds in a Cage (Ptáčkové v kleci). All the students’ exercise books were also put on display, and proceeds from the play drew in $23.25, contributing to total revenues for the year of $172.19, together with expenditures of $160.48. In the summer a countryside outing was organized for the children.
In 1892 only six clubs remained that would contribute 40 cents per member to the school.
In February teacher F. Sakryd organized two plays: Lorence’s Holiday (Lorenčin svátek) and On a Journey (Na výletu). The committee’s notes showed that the performance was successful, although attendance was low, pulling in proceeds of only $8.90. For this event as well the student’s books were on display for all to peruse their progress, including handwriting exercises.
There were 100 students at the school in the 40th ward, while 60 attended the 39th ward school. Forty classes were held during the year and, as last year during the holidays, a countryside outing was organized this year to the farm of Mr. Uher, about five miles from the city. Revenues for the year amounted to $191.56, expenditures $179.10.
By 1893 class attendance in the 40th ward grew to 105 students, with more than 60 in the 39th ward.
In the 39th ward the teacher stepped down to be replaced by Mr. V. Celerin, who organized a student play in May, drawing in proceeds of $14.
In the 40th ward F. Sakryd also organized a play, this one under the name of The Blind Old Lady (Slepá babička). The performance went well and, as with every other year, the students’ exercise books were laid out for display. The event pulled in proceeds of $20, which, together with the proceeds from the other play, went to cover school costs.
In a meeting on June 30 the school’s committee ruled to name itself Patron of Czech Sunday Schools in the 39th and 40th Wards.
That year 41 classes were taught, and over the holidays the patrons and the teachers organized an out-of-town farm outing for the children. Revenues that year amounted to $232.21 while expenditures totaled $185.21.
In 1894 the teaching continued as it had previously, both schools teaching two classes, 78 students in total attending the 39th ward, while 110 attended the 40th ward school. The following clubs pledged their allegiance and support to the school:
Five members from the Žižka order, two members from the Czech Brotherhood (Čeští Bratří), two members from Golden Prague (Zlatá Praha) Sokol, two members from the Czech Lion (Český Lev), two members from the Vlastimil order and one member from the Vlastimil Forester’s Court (Vlastimil Lesníci).
The Vratislava Female Choir also contributes some money, but is not represented on the committee. Among the grand evening events organized in the 40th ward there was a student play entitled Mr. Teacher (Pan učitel), where poems were read, choirs sang and school exercise books were opened, pulling in net proceeds of $15.25. The committee ruled to organize activities for the children on Sundays in the afternoon. The committee further ruled to print out the school’s history, from the beginning until 1895, and display it at the National Hymn Fair in Prague, Bohemia, together with portraits of the students. Of the committee’s members the Patrons this year are made up of the following:
František Kozlík as chairman, Jan Marek as secretary, Josef Vondrák as accountant and Josef Hlaváček as treasurer.
40 classes were given this year.
Revenues were $208.60
Expenditures were $182.88
Remaining in cash $26.38
The 110 students attending the 40th ward school and taught under Fr. Sakyrd are split up into two classes, one from 8-10am and the other from 10am-noon. The 39th ward, on the other hand, has only one class of 60 students, taught by Mr. V. Celerin.
The American Foundation for Schools in Bohemia
With a love for our cultural life, several dedicated compatriots gathered together on December 3, 1886 to form the Central Education Foundation in our city, to help the Czech nation fight for their holy rights.
Those who were inspired to take up this noble call were the following:
Franta Hrubý, Jan Hrubý, Josef Kalous, Karel Marek, Franta Ledinský, Josef V. Bartůněk, Anton Kužel, Vincenc Macan, V. and K. Rychlík, Frant. Kysela and Fr. J. Husinský. They elected to name themselves the Central Education Foundation in Cleveland, Ohio, and immediately began to work on expanding their ranks, succeeding in attracting another 15 members to contribute to their cause.
Once the club began to be active it attracted several men and women of a more affluent background who cordially agreed to take care of the treasury, whom the club named as honorable members <correct meaning?>, as follows:
Marie Křemelová, A. Čermáková and M. Burdová (women) and Antonín Šícha, K. Martinec, F. Fila, M. F. Fňouka and F. Votýpek (men).
The following made up the first committee:
František Husinecký and chairman, Jan Hrubý as secretary, Fr. Ledinský as accountant and Frant. Hrubý as treasurer.
A female department had formed at that time as well, made up of the following:
Anna Hanousek, Mathilda Marek, Barbora Nárovec, Mary Hanousek, Kateřina Vondráček, Anna Král, Anna Kálal, Kateřina Kálal, Anna Ledinský, Julie Truc, Marie Brabenec and Anast. Kubíček.
This department contributed to the men’s club and took part in every event organized to benefit the Education Foundation (Matice Školské). This branch of the club also sent $12 to Prague as a collection among its members.
In spite of the fact that many Czechs could still be found who did not appreciate the good work of the Central Education Foundation, within a short time the club managed to gain such a success that it sent a hefty $161.89 to Prague in September of 1887, with a further $121 the year later.
These donations were drawn from collections, event proceeds and member contributions, whereby each member pays $1 annually.
The club was more than 50 members strong at that time, but due to either lackluster canvassing or a lack of enthusiasm on the part of those who left, this figure dropped to 26 by the beginning of 1892. But the remaining members fought on valiantly and stood firm in advancing the foundation. Their names are honorably mentioned below. They performed a successful play in the city’s Star Theatre, successfully increasing the club’s revenues to the point where they were able to send proceeds of 500 zl. r. č. < on May 23 of 1892, and 250 zl. r. č. </ on Feb. 28 of 1893 to the central committee in Prague.
Those most worth mentioning for their honorable efforts for the club are Frant. Hrubý, Frant. Kysel, Antonín Šíchov, F. Tůma, M. Fňouka, V. Rychlík, J. Nárovec, Josef Stuckbaur and Fr. Kohoutek.
After this, once the remaining committee members of M. Fňouka, Fr. Hrubý, Jos. Nárovec, Václ. Ryhclík and Fr. Kohoutek concluded their work for the administrative year 1893-4, another 128 zl. r. č. <= zlatý rakouského čísla (Golden Austrian Numbers), austrian currency from 1858-1892>/ was sent to Prague on February 15, 1894. Then, on August 8 of 1894, the club organized an excellent outing to Lake Erie, at Put-in-Bay, drawing in proceeds of $105.75, which it sent to Prague as part of its $200 donation on September 11. Even so, $69.70 remained to line the coffers.
Last year the Central Education Foundation exploded in membership to 120 active members, not including the above mentioned honorary members. There are also two external members who publish the honorable magazines of Volnost (Liberty) and Dennice Novověku (New Times Daily).
The club is eternally grateful to these two magazines, which provide news without profit, as without them it would have not attained the growth that it has.
The club now holds an honorable membership diploma and a genuine membership of Cleveland Czechs.
It last remaining committee members are M. Fňouka as chairman, František Hrubý as vice-chairman, V. Rychlík as treasurer and K. Richter as secretary.
Czech Female Compatriots
Statistics from 1888 to December of 1894
On April 8 of 1888 Anna Kiriján and Anna Cipra called for a meeting of women through the public papers, to form a new support club at 23 Mead Ave.
Besides these two the following eleven made it to the meeting:
Cecilie Šulc, Anna Musil, Anna Maleček, Františka Pánec, Marie Souček, Barbora Charvát, Františka Burek, Anna Fijala,Anna Hablesreiter, Barbora Masek and Kat. Kaftan.
Anna Kiriján started the meeting, some explanations were made, all viewpoints from those present were received and the new club was established, moving closer to an election of its officials, who were decided upon as the following:
Anna Kiriján as chairwoman, Anna Hablesreiter as deputy, Anna Musil as secretary, Barbora Charvát as accountant and Anna Maleček as treasurer.
The organization named itself the Czech-American Lady’s Club (Damský česko-americký klub) and each of the attending sisters paid a registration fee of 50 cents and agreed on a monthly fee of 10 cents. All subsequent members paid the same and the club held its meetings on the first Sunday of each month. After being a member for at least six months the sisters were then entitled to seek support of $1.50 if they fell ill.
The club also agreed to accept new members up to the age of 50, whereby the registration fee was increased to a full dollar in June. A month later the club changed its name to the Club of Czech Compatriots (Sbor Českých Vlastenek).
The Club of Czech Compatriots took it upon itself to improve the welfare of Czech women living in the United States, to support our native language both in public and at home, and to help those female compatriots fallen ill, in particular widows and their children in their time of need.
In September of 1889 the club organized a rummage sale <garage sale is too modern I think>which pulled in proceeds of č <?>
In September of 1889 the club organized a rummage sale which pulled in proceeds of $180, handed to the patronage of the Czech National Hall.
In July of 1890 a death fund was set up, to which each member was to pay $1 towards its basic capital. The club also ruled that all sisters should attend a member’s funeral in carriages. The club was incorporated this year as well.
In December of 1892 the club accepted an invitation by the Federation of Czech Ladies (Jednota Českých Dam) to set up a three-member committee to look over the hosting of guests from the old country, Bohemia. A. Michna, Aloisie Sprostý and Kateřina Forejt were chosen to sit on this committee.
For this purpose each member contributed 10 cents, while $5 had been approved in December of 1894 to cover costs relating to the Ethnographic Exhibit.
In 1894 the elected officials were as follows:
Anna Musil as chairwoman, Anna Michna as deputy, Anna Pleischl as secretary, Anna Burda as accountant, Marie Tichá as treasurer and Anna Mudra as supervisor, with the asset committee comprised of Marie Švarc, Marie Pokorná and Anna Ondráček.
The club now has 78 members in all. From its founding until the end of 1894 it accumulated revenues of $1.663.07, with $99.44 deposited in the bank to cover the death fund. $483.54 remains in the bank coffers and $125 was lent to some of the sisters, leaving assets totaling $608.55. A total of 82 members were approved in total, of which four were expelled and one died, leaving 78 remaining.
Anna Musil Anna Burda
The Brothers of Jan Hus Club
In 1871 the first Czech club was established in the 14th ward, by Michal Albl.
On June 6 of 1871 a meeting was called at Number 23 to establish a new Czech club under the name of Brothers of Jan Hus. Sixteen people showed up for that meeting, which immediately agreed to form the club, with Michael Albl elected as its chairman. The club was 32 members strong by the end of December.
Unfortunately, the club didn’t last long – only a year and a half – the members dividing up the club’s savings between themselves according to their investment in it. A.
The Radek Club
The veteran Radek Club (Radecký spolek) was established in 1871 in the hall of Josef Havlíček, above whose entry are written the words “Radek Club Barracks” (Kasárna spolku Radecký), which have hung there since the support club’s founding.
Most of the members of this club are Czech army veterans who banded together under their leader, Major Josef Kubíček, together with <> It did not take long before the company exceeded 60 members.
Of course, for such a group, a uniform was in order and the group the Austrian cannoneers of the time as their inspiration. The group chose as their exercise grounds the free field space behind Perun’s hall, near to Palacký and Písek (Sand) Streets.
The club loved to take part in all Czech events, but as its participation weaned, one by one the lower ranks began to desert the strict military hierarchy, until, alas, the remainder ruled in 1879 to dissolve.
The Reader Club
The more cultured Bohemians felt the need to secure some means by which they could continue their studies. A meeting of many compatriots was held for this purpose at Václav Rychlík’s in April of 1873 which ruled to organize a reading club which would be both educational and organize events. The following officials were elected:
Jan Modroch as chairman, František Horák as vice-chairman, Josef Podlaha as bookkeeper, Josef Soukup as treasurer and Václav Rychlík as librarian, while František Votava, Bedřich Šimek and Hynek Švarc were to sit on the supervisory committee.
The club immediately became official and ruled to begin ordering books from Leo Palda, collecting the remaining needs from Prague. The club organized the first proper conference on July 13, 1873, which turned out quite successful thanks to its packed program and attendance.
Later lecture forums were organized on special Czech holidays, the discussions from which were published by Václav Šnajdr, editor for Pokrok (Progress) and Dennice Novověku (New Age Daily) </.. , enlightening the community. Šnajdr also became involved in organizing lectures and events, even taking part in the debates, be they solo or comical presentations.
All members and their families were entitled free access to the lectures and the atmosphere was generally convivial.
Bad American manners were often not permitted at these events < and the club eventually managed to collect an impressive library, adding to it on a constant basis.
In later years attempts were made to hand over the entire collection to the city library, on the condition that the city would continue to add to it.
However, these attempts met with failure and, due to weak membership, the group eventually dissolved. Even though the club still technically exists it is very rarely active on the public scene. At the moment the club’s chairman is Bartolověj Řežábek, while the library itself is located at V. Rychlík’s.
The Sokol Physical Education Club
This club was established in 1871 at František Novák, by the Perun national order. In the beginning the exercises were simple, but in 1870, with the construction of the Perun hall, the group hired the physical education instructor Louise Besta, after which the club made noticeable advances as it was the first such Sokol club in Cleveland and both new immigrants and heritage organizations were quite excited about the new club, supporting it wherever they could.
In the beginning the club uniformed itself only partially, but eventually it arranged a complete sports kit as per Sokol in Bohemia. The club would gladly wear its attire at every event and often led processions, attracting yet more members in the process.
The club’s leaders and physical education instructors were Václav Beneš, Jan Prošek, František Žák, Jan Jiřele, František Habuš and Bohuslav Trojan.
The first flamboyant event at which the club had partially uniformed itself was at a celebration of the centenary of the <birth of? death of?> naturalist Humboldt, in 1868.
The first grandiose Sokol outing was organized in 1872 to the garden of the Vacín’s on the corner of Clark and Sviss <Swiss?> Streets. For this event the club hired Mr. Hájek’s band, from Detroit, marching along with this band while dressed in full uniform.
All the local clubs attended this event with their own banner and hired bands, who took turns playing in the garden to the great acclaim of all.
The next day the Detroit band played in Perun’s hall and was then escorted by the club to the pier, from where it would return back to Detroit with great fanfare by those present.
Once in a while the club would also organize public productions, and in the winter months it would organize masquerades, which were considered the most exciting Czech events of the time. The last one in particular was the talk of the town, graced with a colorful variety of masks and selected guests.
One of the most sensitive issues between the Perun and Sokol clubs was that the Sokol was always obligated to always invest $50 into Perun’s coffers, this while it was permitted to use the hall for free.
This always led to misunderstandings until the Sokol club finally decided to move to the Slovanksá Lípa hall and proclaim itself independent.
Slovanská Lípa agreed to allow the club to erect a new gymnasium on its undeveloped property, its membership now more than 70 strong.
In 1873 the financial crisis hit America, and the club could not even think of paying its debts, as many of its members were glad if they could just cover their own costs and were not able to contribute to cultural causes, shortening the life of the new club. It was sold off in a public auction due to failure to make its payments for construction wood.
It then became necessary for them to move back to the Perun hall, where the Sokol club first came to be.
Over time the mistakes of the past had been forgotten and the club adopted the name of Cleveland Sokol when the Federation of American Sokols (Jednota amerických sokolských) formed, under which name it performed successfully for many years.
Worthy of particular mention is the memorable outing to Bayer Park, to rooms which had only just been prepared for such a purpose. Sadly, these preparations fell short somewhat when it came to the roof of the dance hall, which was covered only with planks of wood, much to the club’s surprise. The roof served its purpose well enough at the start of the festivities, as the weather was immaculate, everything was splendid and spirits ran high. However, by the evening a strong gale began to brew, followed by a proper downpour. The cover below the wooden ceiling helped slightly, but not much, and everyone lived too far away to rush home, so they all found cover where they could and sat it out, only appearing from their makeshift shelters once the storm had subsided. The men still looked somewhat presentable, but oh, the poor women! Their dresses and hats, many of which had been bought especially for the occasion, were now dripping rags, a situation compounded on the muddy ride home, as they slip-slided their way home through wet clay and great puddles of mud.
But this did not knock the brave club’s spirits as they heroically carried the woman, wading up to their knees in the muck until they got to the agreed bus stop. But what could this omnibus of Josef Štědronský really offer for so many hundreds?
Then yet another misfortune befell them, as one of the horses tore a muscle and fell on the spot. It had to be left there, meaning that still more of the guests had to trudge through the mud.
You will have to imagine for yourself, dear reader, how those beautiful boots, stockings and dresses worn by our woman must have looked, as the women themselves swiftly conspired to forget all about it.
For those who had to make it home over the hill </? , they had it much worse as they often slid into mud puddles and were only too glad to make it home alive.
Thankfully there was a silver lining, which came in the form of the event’s proceeds for the Sokol club, which breathed more life into the club, allowing it to take a major part in many cultural events. However, with the demise of the Perun club, it began to dwindle away, until the remaining members felt it was time to dissolve the club on April 24 of 1888, leaving the remaining assets (still a respectable amount) for a good cause.
(Caption of picture next page:)
Inside view of Czech Sokol of Cleveland’s hall.
Czech Sokol Gym Federation
This federation was established in 1875 in the hall of Slovanská Lípa, where the members of the club had already been quite active exercising in a section of the hall.
Once the Cleveland Sokol had left the federation moved to the Perun hall, where it did well for a few years.
Later it moved to Mead Ave. to exercise at Mr. Malečka’s, while meetings were held at Mr. Rybák’s on Finn Street.
Each year the Czech Sokol Federation (Jednota Sokol Čech) would organize a successful outing in Forest City Park where it would give a public display of its members and students exercising. They also organized grandiose balls at the same location. In fact, the federation was doing so well that it quickly became time for them to think of building their own gymnasium.
For this purpose a building site was purchased on Smith Ave, while Josef Hrádek was so kind as to design the gymnasium’s plan free of charge.
Donations were collected to cover the costs of construction, which proceeded quickly until the new gymnasium stood tall and ready in January of 1892.
The gymnasium opened with great fanfare in the form of a speaker by the name of Leo Palda from Cedar Rapids specifically hired for the event, while Václav Šnajdr, editor for New Age Daily (Dennice Novověku), stood in as the second speaker. The mixed Lumír choir sang for the crowd, which was so amply represented by other club members and the public that they were packed in the hall like sardines. Even so the crowd kept its composure and the evening was well remembered.
The federation continued to organize public productions, such as a Christmas tree for its students, who were always glad to see one another.
Around then the federation decided to change its name to a simpler form: Czech Sokol. Its first trainer was Fr. Sluka.
Fosef Štíbr <Josef?>both exercised at and led the club member for many years and led the exercises for the club’s first outing in the Haltmorth garden, with great success.
It was taken as given that the Czech Sokol attended every cultural event, and so it certainly didn’t want to miss the Czech days in the Chicago World Fair of 1893. There two of its members took part in some exercises and managed to take home some awards during competitions held in a Chicago military building.
<?> and later took home medals at other international competitions.
In 1895 the Czech Sokol, together with the New Nation Sokol (Sokol Nová Vlast) on the west side of town, organized two mutual outings to publicly display the training moves of their members and students, enjoyed both by those performing and those who came to see the show.
In July the club took part in the Detroit regional competitions, where Cleveland’s Sokol group swept the board.
Besides these outings and performances the club members come together in private parties or masquerade balls, to their great enjoyment.
On December 3 of 1894 the club organized an afternoon event for the children, together with a dinner for its students in both schools – physical education and manual work. During the same year the club donated $155.90 towards the construction of the Czech Cultural Hall, while supporting other charitable purposes as well.
Its current officials are as follows:
Mrs. Anna Schuttová as president, Miss K. Jirouch as deputy, Mrs. Marie Zemanová as secretary, Miss Marie Kulhánková as chief <? I don’t know what this means in the context of committee roles?>, Miss Marie Kuštová as treasurer and Miss J. Hauzerová as accountant, while the trainers were Miss M. Jirouchová, Miss C. Kulhánková, Miss J. Hauzerová, Miss B. Ptáková and Miss M. Batystová.
Miss M. Cinková, Miss Marie Kuštová and Miss. K. Macourková directed the manual labor school.
Anna Náprstková Female Sokol Club
The Anna Náprstková Female Sokol Club (Sbor Sokolek Anna Náprstková) was established on June 4, 1894 and is made up of young Czech-Slavic women interested in developing their physical and spiritual prowess. The club is particularly interested in charitable activities.
Its first officials were as follows:
Mrs. Anna Schutt as president, Mrs. Marie Slabý as deputy, Miss Marie Kofroň as secretary, Miss R. Pik as accountant, Miss M. Mráz as treasurer and Miss M. Pik as chief, with the asset committee comprised of Mrs. A. Sakryd, Mrs. E. Schmitt and Mrs. Lokajíčková.
Cash in hand $25.00
Donated to charitable purposes $51.00
Total number of members 32
The club exercised and held its meetings in the hall of the New Nation Sokol Federation (Tělocvičná Jednota Sokol Nová Vlast) on the west side of town.
Thalia Amateur Actor’s Club
The Thalia Amateur Actor’s Club was established in 1892 at Slovanká Lípa, where under the directorship of Antonín Štícha it held performances until 1894.
Šícha was eventually replaced by D. Janda, who organized two performances in Slovanksá Lípa, after which the club merged with the Amateur Drama Club in the 24th ward.
The drama club performed in the Bohemia Hall under the directorship of F. Dardy – two performances to raise money for itself and a third for the benefit of the National Hall. Club members come from all corners of the city, attracting mainly young people, and it can certainly expect the greatest of success in the future.
Many have lamented that such a large number of Czechs join clubs of other cultures, so weakening those clubs that are purely Czech. But this is only natural considering certain circumstances. Each person has their own perspective on things, aspirations and desires, while their inclinations reflect those they sympathise with </ .
Just because some Czechs join clubs of other cultures does not hinder our own cultural life. In fact there is evidence such involvement has injected plenty of life into our own culture and reputation.
Almost all members of some foreign club are likewise members of a Czech club as well.
Just because they join a different kind of club does not mean they are abandoning their roots. On the contrary, they proudly exclaim they are Czech and want to be depicted that way everywhere they go. They always gather around themselves like-minded people with whom to form or join a club, and if they join a foreign language clubs, they will always hold true to themselves and remain independent and Czech.
American clubs have recognized Czechs as educated and intelligent and of good character, and have given them due respect.
Czech members have gained the respect and love of their fellow members in the largest and most powerful of organizations, such as the Pythian Knights, Knights and Dames of Honor, The Foresters and the Odd Fellows.
If Czechs did not take part in other organizations they would not be so respected by those around them.
International clubs are also often considered secret societies. Such organizations have flowered among our Czech flock, their secretive character both alluring and repelling, both of these, I’d say, due to a misunderstanding. So I hope you don’t mind if I take this opportunity to bestow upon you my opinion, as one who is a member of both the most secretive and the most public. <Correct meaning?>
I split up the clubs into three classifications: <he only lists two>
1. Clubs whose secretive nature reflects the methods by which they get to know its members, helping each other and the many who are in need. Such clubs have their insignia, code, handshake, ceremonies when new members pledge, and vows of secrecy. That is the extent of their secrecy, however, as their primary cause is plain: to uplift mankind and reduce suffering.
2. Clubs which have added secret doctrines to the above secrecies and they have secret goals or plans which their general membership is unaware of, gathering at locations only known to themselves and avoiding the limelight by not making any public appearances.
There are many organizations of the first nature around us, with names like American Foresters, Knights and Dames of Honor, the Pythian Knights and the Odd Fellows, while many others have dissolved, and others are still surviving.
This second classification of clubs, on the other hand, has never won much favor among us and never will. We consider such clubs a cancer which must be wiped out.
I regret that I lack the space on these pages to go into greater detail, so I’ll just end with the question: <?>
Prepared by K. F. Tůma
Záboj </ Court No. 6348 A.O.F of A.
Ancient Order of Foresters of America
(Starobylý Řád Lesníků Ameriky)
This group formed a politically-oriented club around 1873, changing tack half a year later by joining a support group under the name of Czech Support Club No. 1 (Český podporující spolek č. I) .
In 1875 the club joined the large network of Foresters, which has grown extensively throughout America and Great Britain </England? – as per original. < UK is stylistically quite modern so if the text is referring to Scotland/Wales/Ireland as well as England use Great Britain> and in which it was labeled Záboj </ Court No. 6348 of the Old Foresters.
In a meeting in St. Paul, Minnesota in 1877, the American section decided to break away from the British and name itself the Old Foresters of America.
This order has contributed to much joy among Czechs living in Cleveland. The club arranged for its own banner – a beautiful one, made strictly from heavy silk and which lasts even today as a proud showpiece of all Czechs and Czech organizations in Cleveland.
Much is said of the banner:
The beautiful stitching in golden thread was undertaken by the esteemed Mrs. Marie Vaňková of Libějic u Vodňan, Bohemia, which she granted from the good of her heart. Her only request was that this banner accompany her on her funeral day during her last few hours on this earth before being put to rest – a request which the order duly fulfilled with all sincerity.
On the 31st of July, 1890 our order organized and attended the burial of one of its members, Brother Novák. But to add to their sorrow, when the carriage returned after the last rites were read, they found that their dear hall had burned to the ground in the meantime.
Fortunately the banner was saved, and looked after by the hall’s neighbor, Brother Fr. Končaný, who with the help of Jan Kinkor, son of our brother Frant. Kinkora, risked his life to pull the banner out of its cabinet.
The order can boast a respectable reputation, has 158 members and has $2,000 strong in its coffers.
The club pays out $5 weekly for half a year in support of brother fallen ill. If a brother passes away $100 is paid out immediately, 16 members in four carriages attend his funeral, the club dedicates a beautiful flower arrangement costing $5 while one carriage is reserved exclusively for the family of the deceased. Each member can also benefit from special insurance for life. No political or religious debates ever haunt our meetings.
Prepared by Jan J. Nessú
Court of Equal Rights No. 6350, A.O. of A
On October 2 of 1877 a larger number of free-thinking Cleveland Czechs gathered together at Slovanská Lípa, on the corner of Croton and Case Streets, to form a support club in the event of death or illness.
The group then submitted a request to join the Federation of Ancient Foresters.