Czech and Bohemian Resource Chotek Book English Translation Section Seven
Pages 96 to 108
The club organized two balls in 1891, both of which were successful. Because we lack the resources for special education, we make certain that all of us are of healthy and of a sensible, free-thinking character, and our efforts are crowned with success.
In 1893 the elected officials were as follows:
Albína Sklenářová as chairwoman, Ver. Švambergová as deputy, Marie Zdvořáčková as secretary, Marie Paulová as accountant, Marie Šlancová as treasurer and Fr. Brémová as supervisor.
Total revenues up to 1893 $604.32
Support to sisters fallen ill $60.00
Death benefits $248.25
Total assets $192.06
Total membership 26
Dobromila, Order No. 46 of J.Č.D.
in Bridgeport, Ohio
We formed this club to help maintain our Czech culture in this new country of ours, by nurturing a love for our language in our children. We also wanted to provide a platform to support one another in the event of a member falling ill or passing away, to look after children of a deceased member, and to work for the good of humankind.
The club was incorporated into the Federation of Czech Women on November 1890 with a total of 26 members.
The clubs first officials were as follows:
Marie Charvátová as chairwoman, Anna Beránková as deputy, M. Andrlová as secretary, Josefa Hrabáková as accountant, Marie Cíglerová as treasurer and Terezie Humlová as supervisor.
The club organized a successful ball in the same year.
In 1893 the elected officials were as follows:
Anna Beránková as chairwoman, Anna Horová as deputy, Anna Červenková as secretary, Josefa Hrabáková as accountant, Kateřina Beránková as treasurer and Anna Ivučerivá as supervisor.
Total revenues up to 1893 $750.93
Death benefits $311.07
Support of ill members $44.00
Charitable purposes $22.00
Remaining expenses $72.62
Total assets $301.24
Total membership 36
< page 128>
Pravda, Order No. 59 of J.Č.D.
Through the good intentions of Sisters Antonie Váchová, Josefa Ptáčková and Františka Urbánková our club was founded on March 13, 1893. By their invitation 30 fellow female compatriots gathered at the residence of Josefa Ptáčková to discuss the matter of forming a J.Č.D. order.
The meeting was led by Antonie Váchová, who explained the main principles of J.Č.D. and who proposed that the new order by named Pravda (The Truth), which everyone present agreed to, since the word carries such great significance and does not permit any injustice wherever it exercises influence. The club chose this as its name so that it would always serve as a guide to each of its members while reminding us of Jan Hus’s famous words: “Let truth conquer”.
Pravda, Order No. 59 was incorporated into the Federation of Czech Women on May 15 of 1893 by the Grand Committee of Ohio.
The elected officials were publicly assigned their posts as follows: Josefa Ptáčková as the ex-chairwoman, Antonie Váchová as chairwoman, Barbora Hrubecká as deputy, Františká Ubánková as secretary, Marie Hanketová as accountant, Josefa Zborníková as treasurer and Augusta Nová as supervisor, with the asset committee made up of Anna Rottová, Alžbeta Klímová and Marie Holečková.
Upon completion of the ceremonies the chairwoman of the Grand Committee gave an excellent speech to the new order, to which its chairwoman gave a suitable response and the festivities began, the earnings of which added $60 to the coffers.
The order now has a total membership of 51.
Total revenues were $263.92
Death benefits $75.84
Other expenditures $46.15
Cash remaining $141.93
Anna Sázavská, Order No. 61 of J.Č.D.
In 1893 Marie Hájová of Libuše, Order No. 1 and Arnošta Bubákové of Lidumila, Order No. 21 were informed that many free-thinking women were considering forming a new club which would be a part of the growing Federation of Czech Women here in Cleveland. These two compatriots threw themselves into making this thought a reality by forming just such a club for healthy and politically aware Czech women, which met with great success since they managed to put together 25 members, who gathered to discuss the matter in the hall of Vincence Sýkora at 42 Nursery Street.
At this meeting the club voted to call itself Anna Sázavská J.Č.D. and submitted a request to become a part of the federation, which accepted them gratefully, the club officially incorporated into the Federation of Czech Women on June 18 of 1893.
The following officials were elected:
Josefa Žikešová as ex-chairwoman, Josefa Vetešníková as chairwoman, Josefa Čermáková as deputy, Josefa Kuchařová as secretary, Barbora Vančatová as accountant, Marie Kubrnová as treasurer and Kateřina Marešová as supervisor, with the asset committee made up of Barbora Večerková, Barbora Štípková and V. Janečková.
Once the officials had been appointed, the atmosphere became more relaxed and everyone eventually found their way home.
The total cash sum accumulated from membership fees and from a donation of $5 from Mr. Dra. Sýkora amounted to $116.76, of which the following sums were expended:
Death benefits $31.03
Fees per head $1.14
Remaining club expenses $33.25
Remainder at the end of 1893 $51.34
In 1894 many of the same officials were elected, with the exception of the treasurer role, which went to Marie Švarcová, while Barbora Bastýřová replaced V. Janečková on the asset committee.
The club’s established principles and its very name have given direction to the good work and charitable enterprises of its sisters.
The club’s founders, Marie Hájková and Arnošta Bubáková, donated a life-sized painting of the famous writer Anna Sázavská.
Sister and accountant Barbora Vančatová donated beautiful insignias for the elected officials and sister Josefa Žikešová donated a beautiful carpet, which were all gratefully received by all members.
Over a period of nine months the club received five new members, bringing up the total membership to 30 well-standing compatriots.
Láska k Vlasti, Order No. 1 of the Sister Support Federation
The Láska k Vlasti (Love for One’s Homeland) club was founded on January 19 of 1890 at the residence of Mr. František Dukát in the western part of Cleveland, and acted as a support organization in times of illness and death.
Its founding members were as follows:
Terezie Mlčkovská, Barbora Kotápišová, Marie Svobodová, Anna Fridlová and Josefa Zítková.
The club also laid the first cornerstone of the Sister Support Federation (Sesterské podporující Jednota).
Its elected committee is comprised of the following:
Josefa Ryantová as chairwoman, Marie Simáková as vice-chairwoman, Marie Tomšíková as secretary, Marie Nová as accountant and Barbora Řeřichová as treasurer. The group gathers every second Sunday.
Donated for different purposes $23.50
Total assets at present $625.39
Number of founding members 34
Number of new members 63
Josefa Ryantová Marie Tomšíková
Věrné Sestry, Order No. 2 of S.P.J.
On the suggestion of Cecilie Koubková, several women met at the residence of Mr. Kodšmída on Forest Street to form a female club.
They voted to name their group Věrné Sestry (Faithful Sisters), Order No. 2 of the Sister Support Federation, whose purpose is to provide financial support at times of illness or death.
The proposed and elected officials were as follows:
Ceclie Koubková as chairwoman, Johanna Kučerová as secretary and Josefa Kuchařová as accountant.
The following founding members paid the registration fee of 50 cents:
Cecilie Koubková, Marie Kroupová, Františka Kodšmídová, Kateřina Dvořáková, Johanna Kučerová and Josefa Kuchařová. This earned total funds of 3 dollars and it was decided to hold the next meeting on March 27, 1892.
The following officials were elected:
Josefa Vetešníková as chairwoman, Marie Macákovi as ex-chairwoman, Veronika Štechová as deputy, Anežka Mallá as secretary, Juliana Žahourová as accountant and Kateřina Camingsová as treasurer, with the asset committee made up of Kateřina Forejtová, Anna Pecková and Barbora Mašková, while Antonie Kliková served as the conductor and Marie Křížková as the supervisor. Josefa Vetešníková, Veronika Štechova, Juliana Žahourová and Anna Česká acted as representatives in the central committee. The present acting officials are as follows:
Josefa Vetešníková as chairwoman, Veroniká Štechová as vice-chairwoman, Anežka Mallá as secretary, Juliana Žahourová as accountant, Marie Babáková as treasurer, Marie Křížková as conductor and Kateřina Dvořáková as guard, with the asset committee made up of Kateřina Forejtová, Kateřina Camingsová and Johanna Kučerová.
Total assets in cash $118.00
Total property held $50.00
The number of members is as follows:
New members 45
The club always enjoys a private party after each new election of its officials. Whenever a member passes away, twelve members in three vehicles adorned with emblems always appear at the funeral. The club always gathers on the first Sunday of every month.
Libuše, Order No. 3 of S.P.J.
On January 26 of 1890 the all-female club of Libuše, Order No. 3 of S.P.J. was formed by 22 founding members, who had requested the grand officials of the Sister Support Federation to officially appoint their elected officials. The grand officials of the Sister Support Federation’s Grand Committee were Josefa Riantová and Terezie Mlčkovská.
They officially appointed our officials as per the federation’s norm, our order’s first officials being as follows:
Marie Pinta as chairwoman, Františka Jirovský as vice-chairwoman, Kateřina Beránek as secretary, Kristina Lusk as accountant, Antonie Kašpar as treasurer, Anna Placký as supervisor, and Marie Drda and Anna Barsa acting on the asset committee.
The registration fee was 25 cents per member, which totaled out at $5.50. The following was decided upon at the meeting:
1. That each member should contribute an additional $1 to the club’s coffers.
2. That the Libuše club should join the Sister Support Federation (S.P.J.).
Grand sister Josef Riantová was so kind as to incorporate our Libuše Order No. 3 into the Sister Support Federation, to the great joy of all members. <This sentence looks like it should be at the end of the numbered list, not incorporated into it? If it belongs here perhaps it should be in parentheses>
3. The proposal was put forth to incorporate the club and, on May 30 of 1894 the following committee was elected to execute the incorporation: Anna Schutt, Marie Cipra and Kateřina Beránek. The incorporation was made legal and the committee of Libuše Order no. 3 of S.P.J. surrendered on June 20, 1894. <I’m not sure I understand. If Libuse is being incorporated into a federation it doesn’t follow that the committee would have to “surrender”>
4. In the event of a member passing away it was ruled that each remaining member should contribute an amount of $1, payable within 60 days.
5. It was decided that new members should be between 18 and 45 years of age, of good character and healthy, with no regard to their religious orientation.
Total revenues from 1890 to 1894 $701.07
Total expenditures from 1890 to 1894 $497.94
In 1895 the acting officials were as follows:
Marie Cipra as chairwoman, Marie Krupka as vice-chairwoman, Anna Našineo as secretary, Anna Schutt as treasurer, Anna Kocian as supervisor, Josefa Barsa, Marie Jech, and Marie Kašpar acting on the asset committee.
The founding members were as follows:
Františka Jirkovský, Marie Pinta, Kateřina Beránek, Kristina Lusk, Antonie Kašpar, Anna Placký, Marie Drda, Josefa Barsa, Barbora Kuneš, Anna Kamourová, Anna Drázdíková, Josefa Řežábková, Anna Rovná, Kateřina Černá, Josefa Stodolová, Anna Klímová, Antonie Staňková, Anna Vondráková, Františka Jirkovský, Anna Nováková, Marie Koptisová, and Marie Šebek.
Later members were as follows:
Marie Divišová, Josefa Katerová, Marie Ciprová, Alžbéta Brabencová, Marie Jechová, A. Kociánová, A. Buršíková, J. Buršíková, M. Zdrůbek, Josefa Kazimourová, Marie Krupková, Anna Vondráková, Josefa Kuchařová, Anna Pintová, Marie Thery, Anna Schuttová, Kateřina Uhlíková, Anna Pešta, Agnes Vácha, Alžběta Meldová, Marie Pintová, Anna Nasincová, Marie Keřkovi, Marie Horek Sr., Antonie Šimeček, Marie Schultz, Marie Kuneš, Magdalena Kučera, Marie Pešta, Kateřina Pešta, Berta Vysoká, Ludmila Čejková, Josefa Metelíková, Terezie Matoušková, Alžběta Pátek, Kateřina Pešta, M. Horek, Marie Kouba, Marie Kloboučník, Marie Doležal, and Josefa Černý. Barbora Kuneš and Marie Šebek passed away.
Vlasta, Order No. 6 of S.P.J.
On April 15 of 1894 Vlasta, Order No. 6, was founded in the hall of T. Dukát, by Marie Šimaková, Marie Houšková, Anna Fridlová and Terezie Mlčkovská for the purpose of education and support.
Its elected officials were as follows:
Marie Chvojanová as chairwoman, Marie Kudrnová as deputy, Marie Svobodová as secretary and Anna Baksová as accountant.
The club gathers every third Sunday of the month in the hall of T. Dukát and has donated a carpet valued at $3 to the Táborky sister club of S.P.J. and a quilt valued at $3.50 to the Vilma Sokolova order of S.P.J.
Total club assets $94.47
Number of founding members 4
New members 34
Marie Chvojanová Marie Svoboda
Táboritek, Order No. 7 of S.P.J.
This club was founded in 1894 on August 26 in the hall of Mr. Josef Šácha on Fila Street.
Anna Záveská and Marie Kubrnová are mostly responsible for the Táboritek (Taborites) order, both of whom are also dutiful and enthusiastic members of Růžena Jesenská, Order No. 5 of the Sister Support Federation.
The Táboritek club has a total of 30 members. Although it is young and its coffers sparse, every member who falls ill is supported with two dollars a week, or 200 dollars in the event of a member passing away.
(caption under picture on the next page)
Czech teachers in primary schools in Cleveland, Ohio during 1895.
M. Pivoňka E. Pekař B.A. Zelený F. Formánek J. Vobořil
B. Páv M. Hejna Mrs. K. Čapek A. Suchý L. Kolb P. Kysela
R. Vopalecký M. Jehlička M. Machart J. Šiškovský
Vilma Sokolova, Order No. 8 of S.P.J.
Order No. 8 of S.P.J. was formed by compatriots Antonie Vachová and Veronika Štechová on September 23, 1894 at the residence of Mr. Koudelka on Weckerling Street.
Its acting officials are as follows:
Antonie Vlach as chairwoman, Anna Michna as deputy, M. Kušta as secretary, Marie Robejšek as accountant and Anna Vondráček as treasurer.
Its founding members numbered 44, although this tally now rests at 49. The club meets on the first Sunday of every month in the hall of Mr. Koudelka.
Antonie Vlach Marie Kušta
Education in Cleveland
related to Czechs and free-thinking schools
The large city of Cleveland, whose size, population and wealth has been thoroughly described elsewhere in this literature, has public (free), sectarian and private schools.
We would like to focus our attention on public schools, a fair percentage of which are attended by hopeful Czech-Americans and from which the same high percentage of well-equipped youngsters graduate each year.
The schools are administered by one director and a seven-member school council. The director is responsible for appointing school superintendents and some of each school’s officials, and also nominates their caretaker, while the superintendent nominates the principals and teachers, who are then either confirmed or rejected by the school council.
An 1894 school report revealed that Cleveland’s public schools were attended by 44,000 students. An 1895 school census revealed that a total of 91,723 students had attended both sectarian and public schools, showing that sectarian schools have a respectably high attendance. It should be mentioned that several thousand students have started attending public schools since this census, as the numbers have been growing every year.
There are a total of 46 public school facilities, of which a few are located in only a single room. But most of them have between eight and 33 rooms and many of those look like palaces.
The combined cost of all the schools in Cleveland, including their internal furnishings, exceeds more than four million dollars, employing 970 teachers. Over time our own Czech element gradually made its way among these numbers, the first of which in 1874: A.F. Landa (now A.F. Škarda) and K.M. Landa (now K.M. Čapek), both from Prague. The former first started in Warren School while the latter began in Clark School, both for the reason that these two schools contained the highest Czech student population and because these students often had difficulty understanding the principal or the teachers.
Both were immediately liked by their fellow teachers as it was already known that they were already well versed in the Czech, German and English languages. They both worked at their posts until 1878, when Mrs. Škarda took leave and soon moved to New York.
From this point forward Mrs. Čapková continued alone, until when in 1882 she received help from Antonie Škodová of Nová Benáta in Bohemia. Miss Škovová alternated between teaching third and fourth grades at Walton School until 1886, when she married Tom Pivoňek and ended her teaching career.
In 1886 Miss Marie Jehličková of Zájezdec (Chrudím region) came onto the scene, and has since then taught either first or second grade at Warren Elementary School.
Very rarely were there cases where someone purposefully chose the teaching of youngsters as their profession.
It was another three years before another Czech compatriot joined the task force, when in 1889 a Miss Františka Formánek arrived. She was born in Bohemia, obtaining her education in Cleveland (as did her peers), and she taught second and third grades alternately.
In September of that year a Miss Anna Vobořilová began to teach first, second and third grades in Fowler Elementary School, until September 14 of 1894 when she fell ill with respiratory problems, passing away on May 25 of 1895. Miss Vobořilová was born in our city of Cleveland.
In that year our pioneering teacher, Mrs. Čapek, was promoted to a new position due to her dutiful and enterprising dedication, a position which was not easily come by: the task of writing manuals and teaching new teachers the skills of their new trade.
After that it seemed that the influx of Czech teaching talent waned somewhat, until 1890 when a new warrior arrived to strengthen the dwindling numbers: one Paulina Kysela, who was born in New York but then moved here at a very young age. She bid farewell to the wider world<asked two consultants and still doesn’t make sense in context, but that’s what the guy wrote – Ok! Ha! I think perhaps the writer’s implying that in deciding to have a career she had to give up other things, like marriage? I’ve changed it to “wider world” to imply this narrow focus> and decided she wanted to educate youngsters. She taught first and third grades at Kinsman Elementary School.
Another compatriot joined the teaching ranks in 1891, a true asset from the days of old, as is partially known, <Don’t understand this “from the days of old, as is partially known”? She’s old fashioned? Or she has a great knowledge of ancient times?> namely Miss Bohumila Zelen, born in Beroun of Bohemia. She was a professor of Latin, Greek holding a Bachelor of Science. At the moment she is preparing herself for a PhD. In the beginning Miss Zelený taught seventh grade at Outhwaite, then for a short time at Ridgewell College in Indiana, and now she teaches eighth grade at the private school of Orphan Asylum on Woodland Ave.
As we wrote earlier, the floodgates of Czech involvement in education seemed to slowly open <(previously wrote opposite – please change if you know where it is. Do you mean: “It seems that 1891 was the last year in which one of our compatriots joined the teaching ranks, but a true asset at that, from the days of old, as is partially known”, i.e. start of last paragraph? I’ve rewritten this anyway, please ignore if this isn’t what you wanted.) and 1892 saw two new additions.
In this year and the following two the additions were purely of Czech origin, which only proves that the heritage of our Czech teachers had put down firm roots.
Miss Marie Pivoňka and Miss Marie Machart, both born in Cleveland, entered the teaching profession with conviction and the will to succeed and have been working valiantly to this end, the first teaching first and third grades at Union School while the second teaches first and third grades at Huck School for Further Education.
Considering that the number of school rules increased to the point that the discipline seemed almost military in nature, one which even men would have difficulty coping with, in 1893 more Czech heroines stepped onto the scene to give their teaching compatriots a helping hand.
All these were born and raised among us, educated in our city of Cleveland where they chose to return the favor, and their names should be immediately familiar to us: Miss Laura Kolb, Miss Rosa Vopalecký and Miss Josefina Vobořil. The first teaches second and third grades at Walton, the second teaches second grade at Warren Elementary School and the third either third or first grades at Fowler.
One particularly noteworthy year was 1894, when the number of our Czech-American teachers grew markedly with the addition of some new faces, who have all promised to remain faithful to the principles of their new profession and deliver it with a motherly love. These are as follows:
Miss Marie Hejna, who teaches third and fourth grades at Woodland Hills School, Anna Suchý, who teaches second and third grades at Cherry School, Miss. Effie Pekař, teaching third grade at Clark School, and Miss Berta Páv, who teaches second grade at Independence School. As mentioned above, all of these teachers were born and raised in Cleveland.
The next year, 1895, was a year of rest or disappointment as only one teacher, Miss Josefina Šiškovský of Vienna, added her services to those already proffered. She teaches first and second grades, although only the German language.
If we didn’t know that four Czech girls are currently in the process of completing their pedagogical training, we might lament that: “We started with a teacher from Prague, but ended with one from Vienna.”
Let’s just hope that upcoming years will see a further flowering of new teachers, and further enlightenment of Czech thought.
As the following few lines will show, our hopes will be satisfied and we are pleased to learn that something is being done for our youngsters as every year new Czech blood is added to the teaching work force.
After carefully calculating the number of Czech students attending the various schools in Cleveland we came to the following figures:
639 in first grade, 476 in second grade, 461 in third grade, 481 in fourth grade, 366 in fifth grade, 205 in sixth grade, 117 in seventh grade and 64 in eighth grade, making up a total of 2,809, to which we can add a further 69 students attending various high schools and four completing ordinary school, giving a total of 2,882, which would be enough to inject fresh life into a reasonably large Czech city. Of this total the following numbers currently attend the following schools.
Name of school Number of students Name of school Number of students
Warren 547 Independence 33
Fowler 537 Central High 31
Huck 317 Kinsman 30
Union 291 South High 27
Clark 219 Ray 25
Outhwaite 201 Woodland Hills 15
Giddings 196 West High 11
Walton 134 Miles Park 8
Woodland 82 Gordon 4
Lincoln 51 Normal (preparatory) 4
These numbers show which schools most of our students attend and if we analyze things further it would appear that the Czech element aspires to populate the city to the point of introducing the teaching of Czech as a language into the city’s public schools. Let us place our hope in such blissful dreams!
The first Czech Sunday school was set up by the educational and support club of Slovanská Lípa in 1864, in the first Czech hall of our very own František Novák, where Czech youngsters were taught in the Czech language for two hours every Sunday. Regrettably, this respectable enterprise eventually fizzled out, probably due to the apathy of parents.
Compiled by L. Č.
Memorial <Is this correct? Because there’s no mention of a memorial in the text that follows…> to Czech Sunday Free-Thinking Schools
in the 17th ward of Cleveland, Ohio
IN THE MEMORABLE YEAR OF 1880
The desire, yes, even the imperative to maintain and further nurture our mother tongue and culture was bolstered by certain members of our society, here worth mentioning.
Among the men: Vác. Šnajdr, Mart. Krejčí, Eduard Vopalecký, Václav Rychlík, Ant. Ráž and others, all of whom set a goal and later accomplished in founding the first Czech free-thinking school at the existing facilities of Perun. It was here that some 70 children were taught through the exemplary voluntary dedication of Václav Šnajdr, Eduard Vopalecký and F.B. Zdrůbek.
Shortly after this the patriots and members of Svornost, Order No. 3 of the Czech Slavic Support Federation </.. ; Budivoj, Order No. 50 of Č.S.P.S.; members of the Lumír choir; the Petr Chelčický order and the Equality of Rights Court (Dvůr Rovnoprácnost) Order No. 6350 of A.O.F. Old Foresters (Starých Lesníků) developed the same passion, and the school moved to Václav Rychlík’s, where many teaching aids were acquired and a new school committee elected on February 6 of 1881, which chose Miss Camila Landa to teach first grade and Theodor Geiger and Václav Rychlík to take turns teaching second grade. Václav Šnajdr also agreed to offer occasion lectures on Czech history over the summer months.
Further support was added by the Sokol Physical Education Club of Cleveland, the Czech Sokol Physical Education Club, the Libuše No. 1 female choir and Vlastimila, Order No. 9 of J.Č.D.
All the representatives of the above-named clubs soon came to the conclusion that, considering the number of Czech inhabitants in the city with their political influence, we should be entitled to some space in Cleveland’s public schools, and soon afterwards the elected committee received a permit to teach our mother tongue each Sunday throughout the year on Mayflower Street in the 17th ward.
Responsibility for the rooms lent out was entrusted to the school committee and to the teachers.
The three-member school committee took its responsibility seriously and would visit the school every Sunday to make sure that everything was in order.
It should be added that the above-mentioned orders and clubs collect certain fees each year and also contribute something from their coffers to cover the costs of the teachers and the caretaker.
Each year in the month of May the teachers organize a social event for the youngsters, where they offer a few words and then enjoy heart-felt conversations with the invited parents and their friends.
It is also customary for the school committee to prepare a Christmas tree during the Christmas period and hand out presents to the students while saying a few words.
The committee also obtains Czech-American books from the publisher August Geringer of Chicago, which are then printed and distributed in amended form by F.B. Zdrůbek, teacher of the free-thinking community.
The orders and clubs interested in maintaining the free-thinking Czech school every December choose their representative. The existing committee is made up of the following:
The self-sacrificing and devoted chairman, Brother Josef Šácha, Brother Vojt. Andrdel as secretary, Brother J. Skalák as accountant, Brother Václav Purma as treasurer, the other committee comprised of Brother František Mára, Brother Václav Hončík, Brother Václav Buřita, Brother Jan Štís, Brother Anton Hromádka, Brother Václav Kadleček, Brother Josef Exner and Brother Rudolf Kutil.
The above have vowed to continue their support of our cultural heritage and to further develop our school.
Václav Hončík teaches second grade to about thirty students every Sunday from 10-11:30am.
Jan Nessý teaches first grade to about 35-40 student during the same period.
Compiled by John J. Nessý
Free-Thinking Czech Sunday School in Wards 25 and 26
The free-thinking Czech Sunday School for the 24th and 25th wards was founded by the following Č.S.P.S. orders:
Lidumil, No. 16; Circle of Brothers, No. 22; Jan Kollár, No. 59 and Vítězslav Hálek, Order No. 62.
The school is now maintained by the following Czech-Slavic free-thinking clubs:
Lidumíl, Order No. 16; Circle of Brothers, Order No. 22; Jan Kollár, Order No. 59; Vítězslav Hálek, Order No. 62; Břetislav I., Order No. 96 and Čechomír, Order No. 123, all of the Č.S.P.S.
Blahomila, Club No. 16; Lidumila, No. 21; Františka Stránecká, No. 31 and Renata Tyršová No. 37, all of the J.Č.D.
Czech Sokol; Jan Křtitel, Order No. 6 and Žižkov, Order No. 27 of Č.S.B.P.J. Court of Ancient <(Old) Foresters A.O.F of A. Záboj, No. 6348, including Žižka, 7289, and finally the Pythia Palacký Knights, No. 317. All these orders and clubs elect one of their members to represent them, these representatives then voting in a smaller committee and acting in the school administration. The first school committee was made up of the following male members:
A. Páv from Lidumil, Order No. 16; V. Nevařil from Circle of Brothers, Order No. 22; František Stádník from Jan Kollár, Order No. 59; and František Kakeš from Vítězsav Hálek, Order No. 62.
In 1894 the voted members were as follows:
František Jiskra from Lidumil, Order No. 16; M. Horálek from Circle of Brothers, Order No. 33; František Stádník of Jan Kollár, Order No. 59; František Svoboda of Vítězslav Hálek, Order No. 62; František Frýček of Břetislav I, Order No. 96; František Vacík of Čechomír, Order No. 123; Mrs. A. Skala of Lidumila, Club No. 21; Mrs. A. Stádník of Blahomila, Club No. 16; Mrs. B. Chvátalová of Františka Stránecká, Club No. 31; Mrs. S. Kuchař of Reneta Tyršová, Club No. 37; Josef Frčka of Czech Sokol; František Jiskra from Jan Křtitel, Order No. 6 and Žižkov Order No. 27; Josef Frčka from Záboj Court No. 6348; Anton Nosek of Žižka, Court No. 7287; and V. Hončík of Pythia Palacký Knights, No. 317.
The school was founded in 1883 and subsequently staffed by the following teachers: Mr. L. Čapek and Mrs. K. Čapková, then the following male teachers: Sakryd, Houška, Trejbal, Pick, Dvořák, Linert, Wessler, Blažej, Horák, Bubák, Švarc, Hassman, Bulíček and Kostíř. The school now has four grades. A. Trejbal and František Kostíř teach the first two grades, Josef. J. Bulíček teaches one second grade class and František Horák teaches one third grade class <is this the correct meaning?>.
Grammar, writing, reading and singing are taught at the beginning of the first two grades, while Czech geography and history are taught in the second and third grades.
The songs are drawn from Czech hymnbooks, mostly simple traditional songs.
The school also has its own library, established by the above-mentioned Č.S.P.S. orders with the help of Svornost, Č.S.P.S. Order No. 3.
Within the school one person is always chosen to act as librarian, taking responsibility for lending the books to the broader public for a certain fee, mostly books relating to history, geography or theater. Once a year the school committee organizes a special event for the school children, such as a play, an outing or a Christmas tree, the proceeds of which go to the school.
In 1894 the following three teachers taught at the school: Fr. Horák, who taught third grade, while Václav Švarec and V. Hassman taught the second and first grades. The only problem the school suffers is that its staff is comprised of working individuals who do not have much free time, <such as those working in the water management sector, or involved in the Temperance Movement.