Hugo Chotek Translation for Genealogy and History Section Six
Pages 82 to 95
Father Malech presides over the community, brings joy to his flock and is well liked by all.
So in less than 25 years the Czech settlement in East Cleveland grew surprisingly quickly, established a host of charitable and philanthropic organizations while accumulating much in the way of assets, and respect from the Americans.
Our compatriots have been involved in all levels of commerce, from speculating on the property market to other forms of business. They have tailors, butchers, clothing manufacturers, shoe manufacturers, furniture makers, physicians, and certainly their share of pub owners. Not to mention the host of builders who performed so well gathered together. The entire population of Czechs in this part of the city ranges between four and five thousand.
Compiled by F. Hrubecký
Vlasta Female Choir
The choir was formed at the start of 1970 by the following women: M. Kulas, P. Vopalecký, A. Vobořil, J. Sýkora, A. Herold, A. Erhardt, J. Beneš, A. Polák, A. Juengling Sr., A. Kol, A. Kalina, J. Svatoš, M. Rokůsek. M. Šebek, J. Veverka, Mo. Veverka, J. Bejček, A. Štván, J. Placák, M. Vokoun, M. Neuhauser, H. Kadleček, A. Bejček. A. Štván, J. Placák, M. Vokoun, M. Neuhauser, H. Kadleček, A. Tománek, Ant. Tománek, A. Juengling Jr. and M. Prošek.
The choir gathered at the residence of A. Jeungling on Case Ave. but moved to the Perun hall once that was built.
On July 4 of the same year a general meeting was held in the new hall and the following committee elected:
Josefa Beneš as chairwoman, Marie Kulas as vice-chairwoman, Anna Kalina as secretary, Anna Juengling Sr. as treasurer and Josefa Veverka as supervisor.
The purpose of the Vlasta Femal Choir (Dámský Sbor Vlasta) is education and mutual support. Any Czech woman who agrees with the choir’s statues and is willing to attend its meetings and lectures is able to join, provided she agrees to defend and maintain the choir’s good name and honor.
The choir, which was formed at the start of 1870 for educational purposes, later ceased its operations but, mostly due to the efforts of J. Bejček and M. Strnad, renewed its activities on February 17 of 1878 under the name of Vlasta First Female Choir (První Dámský Sbor Vlasta), its 22 members once again undertaking the obligation to support one another in case of misfortune or illness.
On that day a general meeting of the choir prepared new statutes and the introduction below, which was received with enthusiasm:
“Like any other good and noble thought, the passing of time has enabled the bringing together of certain individuals to form a broader group intent on enacting noble thoughts from the same impetus that brought together these Bohemian women, not only to faithfully defend those principles in their hearts,
… but also so that the good name of Bohemia and their own dignity and noble character would not fade away overseas. It was their purpose to work together towards the common good, a positive force that we are so greatly in need of these days. It is to fulfill these established statutes that the Vlasta Female Choir was formed.”
After the statutes were completed the meeting elected officials for the next six months, as follows.
Aloisie Smečenská as chairwoman, Františka Páv as vice-chairwoman, Albína Šnajdr as secretary, Františka Franke as treasurer, Dora Todl and Matilda Malá as supervisors.
This hereby concluded the joining of many Bohemian women into a single collective which continues its good works today.
The Club’s <(choir) Financial Report
Total revenues $4,024.66
Total expenditures $2,952.89
Sickness benefits $1,550.35
Death benefits (9 members in all) $450.00
For charitable purposes $189.87
Donation to Prof. Lad. Klácel $36.77
Donation to the Prague National Theater $10.00
Donation to Czech school $10.00
Donation to Chic. Club $10.00
Donation to the Cleveland Cultural Hall $55.80
List of assets:
In savings account on July 31, 1894 $1,172.25
Remaining in cash $10.73
Real estate property $50.00
Total assets $1,232.98
At the moment the club is run by the following committee:
Kateřina Hoffman as chairwoman, Antonie Šinágl as vice-chairwoman, Josefa Mareš as secretary, Františka Doering as accountant, Marie Vokoun as treasurer, Marie Smíšek as supervisor, Rosalie Chrášťanský and Karolina Moravec over committee of assets <in charge of committee of assets?>.
The fact that the Vlasta club enjoys favor among Czech is best proved by its rapid growth over the years, its membership presently:
M. Strnad, Alžb. Malínský, Anna Marek, Dora Todl, Františka Páv, Františka Franke, Josefa Kejček, Anna Vobořil, Josefa Sýkora, Paulina Vopalečky, Anna Kužel, Marie Veverka, Žofie Vrbský, Krist Zvěřina, Kateřina Havlíček, Fratiška Šimek, Marie Nessy, Anna Juengling, Marie Piek, Fr. Aubrecht, M. Plent, M.Vokoun, A. Mudroch, M. Hromádka, A. Šafránek, Jos. Kolář, Ludmila Korbel, Marie Pejša. Marie Štědronský, Josefa Mareš, Anna Raus, Tereza Sluka, Klára Vrbský, Marie Smíšek, Marie Krejča, Antonie Ši nágl, Fauny Doering, Aloisie Beneš, Kateřina Hoffman, Marie Palda, Anna Jandourek, Marie Žák, Matilda Škala, Barbora Žák, Rosalie Ilezoun, Marie Pistorius, Marie Frič, Julie Svatoš, Kateřina Doubrava, Anna Záveský, Anna Vajnert, Marie Brož, Magdalena Bišofský, Josefa Zikán, Anna Mazáč, Kat. Vachalecký, Anna Ivolb, Anna Koza, Anna Kůžel, Marie Štědronský, Kateřina David, Anna Kindl, Berta Bláha, Marie Švarc, Marie Ivrejsa, Anna Čermák, Ant. Vácha, Karolina Moravec, Marie Šnajdr, Fanny Štainer, Rosalie Kubáň, Marta Vorel, Marie Adášek. Ludmila Jedlička, Rosalie Chrášťanský, Emma Janoušek, Antonie Růžička, Sybila Velfl, Aloisie Ivamiš, Alžběta Mittermiller, A. Habart, A. Koch, M. Procházka, Barbora Fanta, P. Tůma, A. Huml, Kateřina Čapek and Marie Hrabák.
This report has been prepared by
Kateřina Hoffman Josefa Mareš
Federation of Czech Women
The Federation of Czech Women is one of the most renowned Czech organizations in all of North America, its efforts reaching deep into community life. This is testified to not only by the size of its membership but by the scope of its good public works.
Such organizations began to form when Czech-American women realized that they could do good works outside of their family responsibilities and contribute to the cultural and social life, and when they realized they had the strength and courage to form a federation of equal strength to that of the men.
Cleveland, Ohio, is one of the cities in which these ideals were first put into practice, when on September 25 of 1870 several patriotic Czech women met to determine whether it was possible to establish a female body with similar principles to the existing Czech clubs.
After good counsel the suggestion won approval and the first such female federation was formed, under the name of Libuše.
For many years this club worked for the social and cultural good while its tireless officials did all they could to found similar clubs in neighboring Czech communities.
But such endeavors had their own hurdles, mostly in the form of the preconceptions of some less aware compatriots who argued that women should focus their energies strictly at home.
Yet no matter how stretched their energies, these Czech women, headed by Kar. Rychlíková, supported by her husband, Václav, and Antonie Mallý, did not rest until they succeeded in forming a second female club on June 9, 1878, in the eastern part of Cleveland, naming it Ladislava.
This paved the way for the formation of the North American Federation of Czech Women (Jednoty Českých Dam v Soustátí Severní Ameriky), making Libuše Order No. 1 and Ladislava Order No. 2.
The noble intentions of our founding sisters can now be best portrayed by the federation’s massive expansion, the organization now established in all states of our new country, and its charitable deeds.
The federation was built from powerful Czech sources to support the education of youth in the Czech language and to provide support of its members through illness and death benefits.
The federation accepts women between the ages of 18 and 45 who are healthy and of good moral character (regardless of religious background) and can afford a registration fee of at least $2.
Its organizational structure is as follows:
1. Central Committee as the federation’s head.
2. State Grand Committee, departments subordinate to the federation.
3. The individual orders and the fundamental core of the federation.
J. Č. D. Central Committee
Based on the mutual interests of Libuše, Order No. 1 and Ladislava, Order No. 2 of the Federation of Czech Women, a central committee was set up to legalize all matters of the federation.
Its first officials were as follows:
Libuše’s Karolina Rychlíková as chairwoma, from the same order Anntonie Mallý as secretary, Ladislava’s Kat. Urbánková as treasurer and Libuše’s Marie Vaňková as supervisor, with Libuše’s Josefa Kolářova and Ladislava’s Antone Váchová as representatives.
The central committee is the federation’s primary managerial body, and is the highest legal power during their annual meetings made up of one representative from each of the J.Č.D. (federation) orders, with one vote for every 20 members in that representative’s order.
The following lists the central committee’s responsibilities:
To manage a full list of all J.Č.D. accepted, expelled, withdrawn and rejected members.
To send a report of these records after each semi-annual meeting to all sister orders.
To report any deaths to all J.Č.D. orders with the portion they are to pay and who they are to send the sum to.
Approves the founding of new sister orders provided their membership is comprised of at least twelve proper, healthy Czech women in good condition and that they pay a $10 registration fee.
Each order shall pay a quarterly fee of two cents per membership head to help cover expenses of the central committee.
It did not take long for the federation to set up orders in Alleghen and Detroit, launching its much hoped-for growth, aided further by reports of it in the Czech press which began to circulate.
In time a proposal was put forward for an amendment to the federation’s statutes, for which reason a meeting was summoned in Cleveland, Ohio in 1880, where representatives of the now eight orders had gathered.
The meeting elected the following officials for the next period:
Karolina Rychlíková as chairwoman, Františka Martincová as secretary and A. Váchová as accountant.
The next meeting was held two years later in Chicago, Ill., by which time the federation had grown to 21 orders.
That meeting voted to increase death benefits to $250 to be divided among all the members </na rozpocet vsech udkyn >.
The following meeting was to be held four years later in St. Louis, Mo.
For this next period the following officials were elected:
Františka Martincová as chairwoman, Karolina Rychlíková as secretary and Antonie Mallý as accountant.
The third meeting took place in 1886 in St. Louis, Mo., at which time the death payments were increased to $300.
The next meeting was to be held four years hence in New York, until which time the following officials were elected:
Marie Rokůsková as chairwoman, K. Rychlíková as secretary, Fr. Martincová as accountant, who stepped down in 1887 to be replaced by Antonie Mallý.
At that time Mr. Jan Vaněk, scribe <příručí pisaře = clerk’s assistant> for the city of Cleveland, was asked make a drawing for the Federation of Czech Women diploma. Vaněk was happy to oblige and worked on the drawing with faithful diligence, for which the federation is grateful to this day.
The fourth meeting took place in 1890 in the city of New York, with representatives from 42 orders in attendance and at which it was decided to increase the death benefits to $400.
Until this meeting, the central committee’s main office was located in Cleveland, Ohio, but it now moved to New York, where it has successfully operated until the present.
J.Č.D. Grand Committee for the State of Ohio
The Grand Committee of Ohio is located in the city of Cleveland and was founded on January 14, 1890, when the decision was being made whether to move the central committee of the J.Č.D. to another state.
The Grand Committee is the highest official body presiding over all J.Č.D. orders within its own state, collecting all fees and quarterly reports from them, which they then forward to their designated place.
On receiving news of any member deaths in its own state, the Grand Committee immediately informs the central committee and informs its state orders once it has received the death benefit.
Its first officials were as follows:
Františka Franke as chairwoman, Antonie Metlička as deputy, Marie Hájek as secretary, Arnoštýna Bubák as accountant, Anna Bácha as treasurer, B. Pauch as supervisor, while the accounting committee was made up of A. Stádník, M. Jirouch and J. Bečvář.
The Grand Committee presides over the following orders:
Libuše No. 1., Ladislava No. 2, Vratislava No. 6., Vlastimila No. 9., Blahomila No. 16., Lidumila No. 21., Eliška Pešková No. 30., Františka Stránecká No. 31., Renata Tyršová No. 37., Vlastenka (Female Patriot) No. 42., Dobromila No. 45., Pravda (The Truth) No. 59. and Anna Sázavská No. 61.
At present, in 1895, the officials are as follows:
Retired chairwoman Fr. Franke, chairwoman Antonie Mallý, deputy Barbora Hrubecký, secretary Marie Hájek, accountant Arnoštýna Bubák, treasurer Math. Škala and supervisor Marie Tichá, with the accounting committee comprised of: Fr. Dostal, Anna Fanta and Marie Kušta.
J.Č.D. Libuše, Order No. 1
On the 25th of September, 1870 and by invitation of Fantiška Franke and Karolina Rychlíková, several Cleveland patriots gathered together to form a club of women to cooperate with the different cultural organizations that existed. Twelve Czech woman gathered for this meeting and decided to name the new club Libuše, after the famous Czech priest.
The new club grew quite rapidly and soon organized its first banquet with prizes, pulling in profits of $475 which it donated to the construction of the Slovanská Lípa Czech culture hall.
Being encouraged by the first enterprise’s success, the Libuše club increased its activity, both through participation in other national enterprises and by contributing hard cash. <MK: uuf, the style…>
While the Slovanská Lípa hall was being built this club moved there on the condition that half of all its earnings from organized events would go to Slovanská Lípa and the remainder to its own coffers. All went well until 1872 when a misunderstanding between members of Slovanská Lípa and Libuše, which was comprised mostly of the wives and daughters of Slovanská Lípa members. The inequality became increasingly exhausting to the point that a faction of the club broke away, with the remaining members not allowing them any further use of the hall.
Until 1873 the Libuše order was forced to hold its meetings in the private residences of its members, after which it moved into the hall of V. Rychlík where it would undertake cultural and charitable works and support its members if sick, or their families in the event of their death.
The next time measures were taken to start a female club was on May 26 of 1878 when the Ladislava club agreed to join the organization as order number two of the Federation of Czech Women </Jednota Českých Dam – make sure is above somewhere >.
At that time the federation received greetings from a Mrs. Náprstková of Prague, where she stated that she was thinking of visiting America. In response the Libuše order declared her an honorary member and said she was welcome to take part in any of their meetings.
Besides the various charitable works the Libuše order undertook with great sacrifice, it donated $5 to the making of an American silk banner for the formation of Budivoj, Order No. 50 of Č.S.P.S. Today the Libuše order can take pride in its material and moral success.
In December of 1894 the following officials were elected:
Tekla Petráš as chairwoman, Antonie Ileroldová also as vice-chairwoman, Kat. Hofmanová as deputy, Ant. Mallý as secretary, Marie Hájek as accountant, Karolina Rychlíková as treasurer and Majd. Horáková as supervisor, asset committee comprised of M. Vokounová, Marie Gotterba, Marie Macourek, Antonie Koch and Marie Pivalová.
Libuše asset statement:
Total revenues up to 1893 $8,710.74
Cultural and charitable purposes $397.24
Illness benefits $1,260.50
Death benefits $3,009.36
Remaining assets $3,141.63
Total membership 121
Ladislava, Order No. 2
The female club of Ladislava, Order No. 2 of J.Č.D. was formed on the eastern side of Cleveland on June 9, 1878 in the hall of F. Polák on Garden Street. Its founding members numbered 17 and it was incorporated into the Federation of Czech Women on August 4, 1878.
It first officials were as follows:
Antonie Váchová as chairwoman, Anna Urbánková as deputy, Eleon. Dvořáková as secretary, Johana Poláková as accountant, Marie Hejduková as treasurer and Kat. Urbánková as supervisor, with Kat. Zemanová acting as the asset committee.
The Ladislava order trains its members by emphasizing the joining together of Czech speaking female sisters, unites and educates by giving informative and scientific lectures, provides moral and material support to its members, teaches youngsters in the Czech language and supports cultural events to whatever degree it can.
< page 120>
The elected officials in 1893 were:
Marie Jilková as chairwoma, Kat. Marešová as deputy, Žofie Marešová as secretary, Marie Hejduková as accountant, M. Hauzerová as treasurer and Marie Vagnerová as supervisor, with Františka Lukešová, Kateřina Mžiková and Marie Heduková acting on the asset committee.
Total revenues up to 1893 $3,118.67
Support to sisters fallen ill $321.85
Donations to Czech Sunday schools
and cultural events $99.48
Death benefit payouts and club costs $1,979.38
Total membership 71
Vratislava, Order No. 6 of J.Č.D.
Vratislava, Order No. 6 of J.Č.D. was formed by 18 founding members in the western part of Cleveland on April 6, 1879, incorporated into the federation on May 11, 1879.
The acting committee was as follows:
Aloisie Sprostá as chairwoman, Josefa Gottherová as deputy, Marie Hoenigová as secretary as Josefa Vondráková as treasurer, with Karolina Hnátková presiding over the illness committee.
The Vratislava order celebrated its incorporation into the federation by organizing a ball on June 2 in the hall of Václav Sprostý. It invited Žižka, Order No. 9 of Č.S.P.S., the orders of J.Č.D. and the Vlastenka club to a fantastic evening. </“Lodges” can be occasionally used throughout >
The order held its first meeting in January of 1880 in the hall of Václav Sprostý, from where it later moved to the hall of Mr. Bergholtz, then to the hall of Jan Bejčka six months later, where it has remained until today.
The order took part in all cultural events such as those in benefit of the Prague National Theater’s construction or Foundation Schools and local Sunday schools.
The order gave a special donation of $72 for the making of a Golden Prague (Zlatá Praha) Sokola banner.
In 1893 the committee was made up of the following elected officials:
Josefa Bejčková as the ex-chairwoman, Terezie Čermáková as the chairwoman, Barbora Kašparová as the deputy, Kateřina Slapničková as the secretary, Kat. Beránková as the accountant, Marie Sprostá as the treasurer and Anna Kotrčová as the supervisor, with the asset committee made up of Josefa Jiravová, Marie Drdová, Kateřina Pekařová, Marie Macháčková and Anna Nedělová.
<caption next page:
Middle High School in Cleveland, Ohio </College?>
Total revenues up to the end of 1893 $7,233.87
Total expenditures $5,435.35
Remaining club assets $1,799.52
Total membership 89
Vlastimila, Order No. 9 of J.Č.D.
From 1870 until 1879 this club was named Libuše u Slovanské Lípy as a separate club until it was incorporated into the Federation of Czech Women as Vlastimila Order No. 9.
At that time its membership totaled 48 and it controlled accumulated assets of $353.67.
When the club was incorporated into the J.Č.D. the committee was comprised of the following:
Marie Matějová as the ex-chairwoman, Veronika Srpová as the chairwoman, Anna Skalová as the deputy, Marie Sluková as the secretary, Marie Marková as the accountant, Anna Máchová as the treasurer, Anna Šebková acting as the asset committee, Alžběta Hvězdová as the supervisor and the property committee made up of M. Sikstová and A. Metličková.
In the beginning the club served mostly to support the Slovanská Lípa order but later added to that role the purpose of offering help to those members fallen ill.
Once the order had become independently incorporated into the Federation of Czech Women it adopted all of its principles of charitable deeds and donations.
In 1894 the committee was made up of the following members:
Josefa Mudrová as the ex-chairwoman, Antonie Šináklová as the chairwoman, Terezie Haasová as the deputy, Anna Šáchová as the secretary, Marie Žáková as the accountant, Josefa Votavová as the treasurer, Barbora Kulišová as the supervisor, A. Kiriánová acting as the asset committee, and Anna Musilová and Anna Marshová <what are their roles?>.
Total revenues up to the end of 1894 $6,559.91
Support to sisters fallen ill $1,089.00
Death benefits $2,217.32
Various expenses $1,952.98
Emergency support $137.00
Cultural support $87.84
Remaining assets $1,075.77
Total membership 74
Blahomila, Order No. 16 of J.Č.D.
A female Czech club was formed at the start of 1880 in the 24th ward, back then the 14th, for the purpose of helping humanity, supporting the Czech language and, if possible, supporting other members financially. The order grew very quickly until, with a membership of 29, it considered joining the Federation of Czech Women.
This possibility soon became a reality and the Blahomila club became Order No. 16 of J.Č.D.
In 1881 the order grew substantially with the joining of the Vlasta club, which had been an independent club since 1877 but now benefitted by joining the sister federation.
The presiding committee was comprised of:
A. Záveská as the chairwoman, M. Jarešová as the deputy, Jos. Šandová as the secretary, Anna Klipcová as the accountant, B. Tyburcová as the treasurer and Barbora Baxová as the supervisor.
One member died that year, but since she had not yet become eligible to receive death benefits, her family collected donations totaling $116.25 among the local J.Č.D. orders. The order contributed an additional $25 for burial costs.
The club’s coffers covered not only legally required fees but also went towards charitable deeds here and in Bohemia.
In 1893 the elected officials were as follows:
Ant. Metličková as ex-chairwoman, Albína Černá as chairwoman, Kar. Davidová as deputy, Auna Stádníková as secretary, M. Robejšková as accountant, M. Škálová as the treasurer and K. Šturcová as the supervisor.
Total revenues $7,079.30
For charitable deeds here and in Bohemia $302.00
Illness benefits to members $980.50
Death benefits $2,103.99
Club costs $2,638.74
Remaining assets $1,054.07
Total membership 101
Lidumila, Order No. 21 of J.Č.D.
When Czechs first started to settle the newly built Warren, Solon and Trumbull Streets, previously farmland, the newly arrived wives sought out a friendly group where they could meet with others on Sundays and speak of womanly concerns and entertain themselves.
Such a thought was also supported by many men and it did not take long before a group of 43 members formed in the hall of Václav Proška on the corner of Solon and Trumbull Streets, calling themselves first the Ludmila club but changing it to Lidumila once they joined the J.Č.D.
The club was incorporated into the sister federation on June 5 of 1881, when the following officials were elected:
Kateřina Janoušková as chairwoman, Antonie Humpálová as deputy, Karolina Šindelářová as secretary, Anna Riehtrová as accountant, Anna Prošková as treasurer and Kateřina Hofmanová as supervisor, with Alžběta Trojanová and Marie Kratochvílová making up the asset committee.
With united and vigilant dealings the club managed to overcome all obstacles thrown at it and continues successfully from where it started.
The following were the elected officials in 1894:
Karolina Šindelářová as ex-chairwoman, Františka Dostálová as chairwoman, Ludmila Majerová as deputy, Arnoštýna Bubáková as secretary, Marie Bicánová as the accountant, Antonie Humpálová as the treasurer and Kat. Protivová as the supervisor, with the asset committee made up of Marie Hořejšová, Anna Texlerová, Karolina Mžiková, M. Metličková and Anna Růžičková.
Total revenues $5,560.49
Support to sisters fallen ill $1,117.75
Death benefits $2,275.38
Cultural support $99.72
Club costs $1,172.40
Tangible and intangible assets totaling $1,074.63
Total membership 109
Eliška Pešková, Order No. 30 of J.Č.D.
Twenty members, mostly comprising those who had left the Vratislava order, formed Order No. 6 of J.Č.D., upon its official incorporation on February 13 of 1886.
Its first meeting chose to name the club Eliška Pešková in recognition of the witty writer back home.
The club gathers in the hall of Josef Pintner on Clark Ave. Its first elected officials were as follows:
Anna Kolbová as ex-chairwoman, Anna Humlová as chairwoman, Anna Juenglingová as secretary, Markéta Červenková as the accountant, M Vaňková as the treasurer, Marie Kozelková as the deputy and Marie Hulcová as the supervisor, with the asset committee made up of Anna Lukavská, Kateřina Hanslíková and Anna Kočárová.
The existing committee is made up of:
Markéta Červenková as ex-chairwoman, Anna Krejčová as chairwoman, Kateřina Hánová as deputy, Louisa Sakrydová as secretary, Marie Maříková as accountant, Kateřina Pintnerová as treasurer and Kateřina Hanslíková as supervisor, with the asset committee made up of Anna Lukavská, A. Styndlová and F. Koránová.
Over time the Eliška Pešková order grew to 49 members and received favor and recognition from the general public due to its deeds, both within its own organization and as regards its charitable activities elsewhere.
For these reasons the club can look forward to a promising future, helping not only its own members, but supporting the wider Czech cause in America and back home.
Total revenues up to 1893 $2,743.68
Support to sisters fallen ill $289.50
Death benefits $852.70
For educational, cultural and charitable purposes $56.85
Cash in hand $345.64
Total membership 49
Františka Stránecká, Order No. 31 of J.Č.D.
Sisters Anna Vágnerová and Petronella Davidová, as founders of this club, set out to support equality, perform charitable deeds and edify the reputation of Czech-American women to prove that even Czech women are able to contribute to enlightenment.
The club named itself in honor of the writer Františka Stránecká, as she was an excellent storyteller and a shining example of humanity and morality.
Františka Stránecká earned herself a well-respected name in Czech literature.
The club was incorporated into the federation on March 27 of 1886 by the central committee of J.Č.D.
The following were elected into the committee:
Petr. Davidová as chairwoman, Barb Sojková as deputy, Johana Sojková as secretary, Anna Mazáčová as accountant, Anna Oudráčková as treasurer and Marie Cimprichová as supervisor, with the asset committee made up of Anna Šídlová, Anna Jílková and Marie Fingulínová.
In gratitude at the club’s founding, the chairwoman, P. Davidová, gave a beautifully sewn ribbon to the club’s founder, Anna Vágnerová, who later reciprocated by donating a portrait of Františka Stránecký to the club, who were very grateful for the gift.
To celebrate the founding a ball was held on April 16 of 1888, with great success. Similar to a ball held in 1892.
In 1894 the following committee was elected:
Anna Mazáčová as chairwoman, Anna Krejčíčková as deputy, Anna Kolářová as secretary, Anna Vágnerová as accountant, Marie Fingulínová as treasurer an Kat. Kroftová as supervisor, with the asset committee made up of Barbora Chvátalová, Marie Humlová, Barbora Horaždovská and Anna Vlasáková.
Total revenues up to 1894 $4,337.20
Support to sisters fallen ill $295.00
For charitable purposes $6,925.00
Death benefits $1,163.45
Total membership 71
Renata Tyršová, Order No. 37 of J.Č.D.
At the start of 1888, when the Federation of Czech Women enjoyed great popularity among socially conscious Czech women and began to rapidly expand, the thought surfaced of whether to form a club in the 25th ward, because that is where most of the Czechs were, yet it lacked any female representation.
Arnošta Bubáková and Anna Pejšlová are responsible for the order’s founding.
Soon enough members were brought together, who voted to name the club Renata Tyršova.
The club was founded at the residence of Václav Holeček on Homewood Street. Its first elected officials were as follows:
Anna Rybáková as chairwoman, Anna Ilulešová as deputy, Marie Prošková as secretary, Anna Štěpánová as the accountant, Anna Budařová as the treasurer and Anna Holečková as the supervisor, with the asset committee comprised of Anna Koenigsmarková, Josefa Kolářová, Josefa Beznosková and Marie Brastainová.
There were 19 founding members in all, and besides the usual principles, the club was particularly dedicated to teaching children in the Czech language.
If love is the lifeforce of the Czech language, pulsing through all its veins, friendship is a beautiful blossom, pleasing to the eye and cheering by its aroma, and when the fruit ripens, it feeds the hunger of the human spirit. <Zakládajících členek bylo 19. Kromě úkolů, které si spolek dal za cíl, ženy kladly důraz nato, aby české děti se vzdělávaly v českém jazyce a byly tak všem příkladem. Když pak láska k českému jazyku koluje v žilách jako míza v rostlinách, pak přátelství je jako květ, kterým se potěší smysly – oči krásou a čich vůní – a ovoce nakonec nasytí duši.>
The elected officials in 1894 were:
Josefa Bečvářová as ex-chairwoman, Anna Rybáková as chairwoman, Anna Rybáková as deputy, Anna Králová as secretary, Veronika Čermáková as the accountant, Marie Štíbrová as the treasurer and Anna Lormauová as the supervisor, while the asset committee made up of Josefa Máchová, Josefa Prošková, Anna Budařová and Stázi Kuchařová.
Total revenues up to 1893 $1,604.63
Support to brothers fallen ill $102.50
Death benefits $484.41
Fees per head $25.44
Total assets $328.77
Total membership 48
Vlastenka, Order No. 42 of J.Č.D.
in Bellaire, Ohio
When in 1889 a male club under the name of Lech, Order No. 160 of Č.S.P.S. was founded in our little town of Bellaire, Ohio, the notion was put forward as to whether to form a similar, sister organization.
Private meetings were soon set up to give ourselves a chance to learn something of the principles and advantages the Federation of Czech Women might offer.
Our task would have dragged out much longer had not some brothers of Č.S.P.S. offered their advice, and their help has definitely speeded up our incorporation into the mighty Federation of Czech Women.
We decided to call ourselves the Vlastenka (Female Patriot) club, to constantly remind us to always remain shining examples of our dear motherland, to stand by her through thick and thin, and to remind us that we sisters can contribute to the success and flowering or our culture as much, or even more so, than the men. After all, aren’t future generations almost entirely in the hands of women? We say yes!
Every family knows that it is the mother who is most responsible for the upbringing of her children. It is in these responsibilities that we can see the character of a mother and female patriot.
The club was incorporated into the Federation on February 23, 1890 by 15 founding members. It was agreed that the club would have its meetings at the residence of Jakub Zdvořáček, where the following officials were elected:
Alžběta Němcová as chairwoman, Jos. Petránová as deputy, Marie Paulová as secretary, Albína Sklenářová as accountant, Marie Ivoterová as treasurer and Marie Burdová as supervisor.