Section Three of Genealogy and History Book Translation
Pages 41 to 55
Brother Vác. Šafář donated a voting box to the order, while brother F. P. Pešek donated a stand for the order’s official stamp.
A meeting on 22 March ruled to create group sashes</cinctures/ceintures <šerpy-sashes in he fashion meaning – sashes is the correct word> for the Svornost order and which should reflect the most modern fashion compared with those used by other local orders.
Proceeds from the first party amounted to $25.99.
The adoption of the confidential tendencies or principles of the Svornost order invoked various – and sometimes outright ludicrous – opinions among some of the less aware of our local compatriots, in particular from older religious women who expressed fear of developing a closer relationship with any member of Svornost, under the belief that they were secretly of the devil. The words: “The devils are coming!” or “They don’t know God!” would often be overheard from such women at gatherings or processions along the public streets.
But in spite of such prejudice, the Svornost order grew surely and steadily, as did the numbers of its membership and the assets that it held.
One of our members, Frant. Janeček, died this year, while his widowed wife, according to our order’s statutes, was entitled to a monthly support of five dollars either until she remarries or… <?>
At a meeting on April 19 it was decided to organize a ball for the group, to which the Lumír choir was to be invited for entertainment.
To celebrate the opening of the new Czech hall of the Perun order, the Svornost order decided participate in full colors and membership.
On December 1, 1870 the Svornost order moved to the hall of the Perun order and ruled to have a combined meeting only once a month.
All members of the Svornost order also participated in the celebrated opening of the Slovanksá Lípa hall.
Revenues during 1870 $335.30
Expenditures during 1870 $270.89
Cash left over $64.50
Total assets/capital $160.51
The order’s first outing was on the 27th of July, 1871 in the garden of M. Dahler and garnered proceeds totaling $23.97.
Records show that the founding of a new Č. S. P. S. order at Slovanské Lípy was prevented by the Svornost order.
The celebrated Jan Hus on July 15, which the Czech groups joined in with great fanfare in the center of the city and garden of Lied, the Svornost order took part in full membership. <What happened regarding Jan Hus? Sentence doesn’t make sense>
Revenues that year $529.31
Expenditures for that year $470.22
Number of members 70
On November 16 the Grand Order met with members of the Budivoj order and many members of Svornost Order No. 3 and other Cleveland-based orders in one of Č.S.P.S.’s rooms, where a general meeting was to begin. Brother Vác. Rychlík, chairman of the National Main Order, launched the meeting with a very interesting speech in which he explained the purpose of the federation </Scott says okay to use this instead of Order > and thanked the friends and supporters of the union </ , after which he asked Brother Ant. Ráže, chairman of the Grand Order, to perform the ceremony of appointing the officials.
The Budivoj order’s first elected officials were as follows:
Aug. Votýpka as chairman, Jos. Čermák as the supervisor, Ferd. Erhard as secretary, Jos. Kysela as accountant, Fr. Vaněk as treasurer, Fr. Votava as conductor, Jan Žikeš as inner guard and Jan Kovářík as outer guard.
Once the ceremonies were over, speeches were also given by National Main Order chairman V. Rychlík, Grand Order chairman Ant. Ráž and Grand Order ex-chairman Mich. Albl.
After that the chairman of Budivoj, Brother August Votýpka addressed all present and gave a very interesting speech on the reasons for joining the federation. The stage curtain was then suddenly raised to reveal Mrs. Matilda Škalová, who on behalf of Libuše No. 1. J.Č.D. </? handed the new order a beautiful banner in American colors, and gave a speech which was very warmly received.
The order’s chairman, Brother Aug. Votýpka, gave thanks for the beautiful present and promised the Libuše order that, as it had in the past, Budivoj would continue to stand by Libuše like a brother.
Many eyes welled with tears because of the heartfelt meeting and many still remember it today.
From that moment the Budivoj continued valiantly in its endeavors, organizing events and plays, and contributing their earnings to good causes.
In 1881, when a horrible catastrophe afflicted the National Theater in Prague, the Budivoj order approached the amateur dramatics of Cleveland to organize a play in order to send the proceeds to the National Theater, and the proceeds were generous indeed.
The Budivoj order continued in this way until 1884, when it sold its wardrobe to the Budivoj Amateur Dramatics Club so that it could fully focus on Č.S.P.S. matters.
At a meeting in Chicago it proposed a 5 cent fee per member to cover death payouts for deceased wives. This proposal was later amended to regular support of $250, which still applies today.
Total charitable support paid out
to its members $74.66
Total charitable support
outside of the order $207.00
In support of Czech Sunday Schools $256.62
Donated to the St. Louis hall in 1880 $2.50
In 1881 the order organized three plays, the earnings of which being donated as follows:
To ill brothers of Order No. 3 $59.55
To families of Order No. 22 $32.25
To Czech Sunday schools $23.90
During the same year the order also paid out the following:
For music for the burial of President James Garfield <Sp. St.?> $15.00
In 1882 a tombstone for Klácel $10.00
In 1884 to the Prague Math School $14.60
In 1889 to the National Hall in Cleveland, O. $50.00
In 1890 to the Jan Hus Memorial in Prague $10.00
In 1890 to those afflicted by the Czech flooding $10.00
In 1890 to the Czech National Hall in Cleveland $10.00
In 1892 to a celebration honoring Jan Amos Koenský $1.00
Total support to ill brothers
between 1880 and 1893 $3,750.00
Total death payouts made between 1880 and 1893 $11,723.60
Total assets held at present $1,739.60
Since its founding on the November 13, 1879 until December 9, 1893, 128 members joined, eight passed away, nine left, 27 were expelled and five were not granted membership. At present the order has a membership of 84.
Membership List of Budivoj, Order No. 50
on December 9, 1893
Jos. Čermák, Fr. Kieger, Anto. Růžička, Ferd. Erhard, Jan Kovářík, Jan Zikeš, Fr. Čermák, Ant. Pokorný, Frant. Línek, Petr Malý, Jan Matoušek, Jos. Línek, Fr. Reiner, Tomáš Woelfl, Vác. Šafář, Eman Pašanda, Frant. Bláha, Jan Kindl, Fr. Vaněk, Hynek Vaněk, Jaroslav Mašek, K. Sbišofský, Mat. Mareš, Hynek Červenka, Fr. Wolf, Vác. Balšan, Fr. Žák, Alfred Wiesenberger, Jan Hrubecký, Henry Fišl, Vác. Heidenreich, Hynek Švarc, Jan Řebák, Vincenc Kindl, Vác. Smíšek, Fr. Princ, Adolf Libenaur, Albert Berg, Karel B. Šimek, Jos. Jílý, Jos. Svoboda, Jan Čermák, Jos. Cmíral, Karel Frič, Jan Štýs, Emanuel Fingulin, Jos. Hájek, Jan Baxa, Fr. Hrdlička, K. Nejedlý, Ant. Šícha, Karel Hůlka, Fr. Zeman, Engelbert Kulhánek, Josef Kulhánek, Anton Švejchofský, Anton Bureš, Jos. Froněk, Jos. Eiba, Vác. Hůrka, Vojtěch Anderle, Ferd. Krumphanzel, Fr. Salveter, Jan Štědronský, Matěj Štván, Jan Trojan, Jan Tlapa, Fr. Mára, Jos. Korábek, Jos. Kotápiš, Václav Lukeš, Bedřich Příhoda, Fr. Svoboda, Ferd. Mára, Jan Kamiš, Jos. Smíšek, Fr. Jankovský, Vác. Hončík, Aug. Šimek, Jos. Exner, Kar. Farkas, Fr. Kamiš, Jos. Hončík and Anton Černý.
</ file 42, page 70
Elected Officials of the Budivoj Order in 1893
Vojt Anderle as chairman, Ferd. Mára as supervisor, Jan Štýs as secretary, Václav Hončík as accountant, Hynek Švarc as treasurer, Jan Matoušek as conductor, Karel Hůlka as inner guard and Jan Trojan as outer guard.
Fr. Čermák, committee to compile the history of the Budivoj order.
<<< Anastasia proofing up to here
Č.S.P.S. Order No. 56, Petr Chelčický
in Cleveland, Ohio
In January of 1880, many free-thinking Czechs gathered in Cleveland at Slovanské Lípy to form an association to support members in the event of hospitalization or death, and to join the Czech Slavic Support Guild </ − Č.S.P.S.
The members of this new association decided to name it Petr Chelčický, to commemorate a man who had served the Czech nation, earning the respect of Czechs in the past and in times to come.
On January 30 of 1880 the following members were received into Č.S.P.S. by the Grand Order of Ohio’s chairman:
A. Pik, J. Srp, A. Trěka, V. Marek, V. Krejča, V. Sotranský, V. Jůzek, A. Vícha, J. Šťastný, F. Pták, J. Černý, J. Hůla, J. Čáp, F. Jílek, V. Valenta, J. Slavíček, J. Branstein, J. Prošek, J. Staze, J. Veselý, J. Bečvář, F. Jandůrek and J. Sluka.
On February 5 of 1881 the Grand Order of Ohio’s chairman ceremonially appointed the following elected officials:
V. Votava as chairman, A. Pik as supervisor, E. Pajer as accountant, J. Kusta as treasurer, J. Prošek as conductor, J. Sluka as the inner guard and V. Krejča as the outer guard.
The order of Petr Chelčický was incorporated according to the laws of Ohio on April 22 of 1880, the incorporators being:
Václav Marek, Ignác Staine, Václav Hanuš, M. Sadranský and Jan Sluka.
of Petr Chelčický, Order No. 56 of Č.S.P.S.
Since Petr Chelčický, Order No. 56 of Č.S.P.S. in its general meeting held in the city of Cleveland <<incomplete sentence?>
</ file 43, page 27 – missing page here?
Budget of Petr Chelčický, Order No. 56 of Č.S.P.S.:
Total revenues $22,726.36
Support for illness $2,217.67
Death payouts $7,868.14
Donation to Czech Sunday schools $167.24
Various expenditures $4,062.02
Total expenditures $14,314.87
On February 1 of 1881 the order ruled to take part in the formation of Czech Sunday schools. The meeting also formed a three person committee of V. Votava, V. Štaine and A. Placák and approved the first fee of $8.
On September 5 of 1888 the order ruled to help out with the construction of the National Hall, electing a five-member committee comprising J. E. Vorel, Vác. Hanuš, Jan Srp, Jak Bečvář and Fr. Pták, and agreeing to pay $25.
The Petr Chelčický order’s first burial took place on September 27, 1883, as Brother Josef Pos passed away after contracting tuberculosis.
The second burial took place on November 28, 1891, for Brother Václav Hanuš.
The elected officials for 1894 were as follows:
Fr. Pták as chairman, A. Černohorský as supervisor, Jan Prošek as accountant, Jos. Černý as secretary, Václav Dobrý as conductor, V. Votava as treasurer, Vác. Vomasta as inner guard and Ed. Rybák as outer guard. The asset committee was made up of Bernard Vopalecký, Vác. Neubauer, Frant. Janovský, Jan Srp and Jan Žabour, while the school committee was made up of Jos. Skalák, Ant. Hromádka Jr. and Vác. Dobrý.
List of Members of Petr Chelčický, Order No. 56
Jakub Bečvář, Jos. Čáp, V. Votova, Vojt. Palda, V. Krejča, V. Jůzek, Čeněk Náhlovský, Vác. Marek, Vác. Dobrý, Ant. Hromádka, Fr. Pták, Vác. Sadranský, F. Mácha, F. Jandourek, Jos. Černý, V. Šťastný, J. Hůla, P. Krbeček, V. Hála, F. Boháček, J. Prošek, J. Kovanda, F. Mašek, Leopold Růžíčka, V. Hrdlička, V. Vyčichl, Bernard Vopalecký, Vojtěch Lukáš, Vinc. Kadleček, J. F. Veselý, F. J. Smíšek, Jan Žahour, Alois Pletka, F. Jelínek, Jak. Mášl, V. Vomasta, Jos. Štaine, Vác. Kadleček, Jos. Skalpa, Frant. Janovský, Karel Kelner, Ant. Černornorský, Karel Vícha, Ant. Mášl, Josef Beneš, Ed. Rybák, F. Votava, Ed. Vopalecký, V. Chýžka, J. E. Vorel, Anton Hromádka Jr., A. Adler, V. Hladík, J. Branstein, V. Lukáš and J. Srp.
Jan Kollar, Order No. 59 of Č.S.P.S.
in Cleveland, Ohio
The order was founded at Frant. Kinkor on Forest Street and entered into Č.S.P.S. on February 15, 1880. Its first elected officials were:
K. J. Herold as chairman, Jos. Janoušek as supervisor, Ladislav Čapek as secretary, Fr. Mareš as accountant, Fr. Kinkor as treasurer, Fr. Stádník as conductor, J. Petr as the inner guard and V. Uher as the outer guard.
The remaining founding members were as follows:
Jos. Hodouš, Jos. Huml, M. Brunclík, F. Bednář, F. Batista, J. Uher, J. David, F. Mach, F. Chvátal, V. Kotršál, J. Texler, J. Fryček, Petr Benda, A. Protiva and J. Vorel.
Throughout its entire existence this order has been true to its obligations, not only to its own members and to the Č.S.P.S., but also helping out with charitable matters or Czech cultural activities to the best of its abilities.
The Jan Kollar order organized a great function for the unveiling of its banner in October of 1885, a function which was packed to the seams with representatives sent from various Czech clubs and members of Č.S.P.S., along with many other guests. The occasion was praised for its exquisite atmosphere, and after the ceremonies were complete the festivities began in full force.
Total assets at present $1,066.07
Total number of members 49
The order’s existing members are as follows:
K. J. Herold, Jos. Janoušek, Ladislav Čapek, Fr. Stádník, Fr. Fareš, Fr. Kinkor, Fr. Kessler, Fr. Batista, Ant. Protiva, Vác. Novotný, Jan Vardaš, J. Uher,F. Mach, V. Uher, J. Hodouš, J. Texler Sr., J. Charvát, Jar Polák, Jos. Pekárek. Jos. Vondrák, M. Karlovec, Jan Vaněk, Václav Kučera, Jan Vališ, Fr. Mareš Jr., Jos. Vašinbauer, Jak. Kočár, Fr. Pekař, Erazim Rauš, Vác. Kotršál, Jos. Zerák. Jan Kubový, Jos. Kutina, Jan Švare, Jos. Bulíček Jos. Koman, Fr. Švasta, Jan Smejkal, Boh. Holpuch, Fr. Taroba, Lad. Štech, Ed. Fiala, Jan Moravec, Jos. Ježek, Jan Novotný, Vác. Hynouš, Jan Dolista,. Jan Kuban and Jos. Texler Jr.
The existing, elected officials are as follows:
Jos. Bulíček as chairman, Jos. Kutina as superviser, Bohumil Holpuen as secretary, Jos. Charvát as accountant, Jos. Uher as treasurer, Jos. Zerák as conductor, Jos. Hodouš as inner guard and Ant Protiva as outer guard.
Vítěžslav Hálek, Order No. 62 of Č.S.P.S.
in Cleveland Ohio
At the start of 1880, as the Č.S.P.S. slowly grew in numbers, there were those who thought it would be a good idea to start an order in the 24th ward.
Anton Klipec and Vác. Záveský instigated the founding of just such an order and sacrificed their time inspiring others to support such a notion in order to attain the numbers to warrant its creation.
Their efforts were eventually successful, and they mustered together enough support for work to begin to bring their plans to fruition.
The new order was named Vítěžslav Hálek and, on April 19 of 1880, in the hall of Anton Klipec on Hamm Street, it was incorporated into the federation by the following officials of the Grand Order: its chairman V. Vaňek, secretary Frant. J. Vácha and accountant J. Čermák.
</ file 44, page 74
The founding members of Vítěžslav Hálek Order No. 62 of Č.S.P.S. were as follows:
Vojtěch Soulek, Vác. Šanda, Jos. Krs, Jos. Vlasak, Fr. Lukas, Josef Hasák, Tomáš Turek, Jiří Štípek, Jos. Hrubý, Jos. Edl, Jan Jirousek, Tomáš Šídlo, Mat Pánec. Vojt. Krs, Fr. Kakeš, Fr. Lanjmajer, Jan Sácha, Jan Mácha, Fr. Kuchař, Martin Broška, A. Klipec, V. Záveský and Fr. Vlach.
After introducing the new members to the federation and briefly educating them on its principles, a plan was made to meet at 8 o’clock to vote in its new officials, the results of which were:
V. Soulek as chairman, Vác. Záveský as supervisor, Fr. Kakeš as secretary, Vác. Šanda as accountant and Jos. Vlasák as treasurer.
The order’s budget for 1880 was as follows:
Quarterly fees and death benefit
Death benefits paid out $106.87
Payments to the Grand Order $19.10
Various expenditures $51.89
Purchased property $125.37
Total assets held $3.70
In 1894 the elected officials were as follows:
Tomáš Šídlo as chairman, Jos. Lisý as supervisor, Mat. Král as secretary, Jan Zikán as accountant and Fr. Vlach as treasurer.
Revenues from quarterly payments and
death payments to Grand Order $2,824.39
Death payments paid out $1,207.40
Paid to Grand Order $3.85
Support to brothers fallen ill $540.00
Various expenditures $274.68
Property purchased $3.09
Added to savings account $100.00
Total remaining $334.28
Total in savings account $695.37
Total assets held $1,039.00
Members of Vítěžslav Hálek, Order No. 62
Vác. Šanda, Jos. Krs, Jos. Vlasák, Fr. Lukáš, Jos. Husák, Jos. Edl, Tomas Šídlo. Tomáš Turek, Jiří Štípek, Jos. Hrubý, Vojt. Krs, Mat. Pánec, Fr. Kakeš, Fr. Langmajer, Jan Šácha, Fr. Kuchař, Martin Prožka, Vác. Záveský, Ant. Klipec, Fr. Kaplan, Jan Pekárek, Tomáš Šanda, Fr. Froněk, T. Bezděk Sr., Fr. Vlach, Jos. Socha, Karel Bureš, Mart Krs, Ant. Kusta, Jan Hofman, Karel Šnajdr, Jak Čech, Jan Žižku, Mat. Štaimec, Vav Pekař, Jos Kůs, Fr. Matějka, Hynek Švec, Jos. Kolář, Jak. Baxa, Petr Vacík, A. Svoboda, Jan Blaha, Jos Lisý, Jos. Váchal, Fr. Králík, Jos. Kubrna, Hynek Vlk, Mat. Král, Jos. Frídl, Fr. Pecka, Tom. Bezděk Jr., Jos. Pivňka, Jan Svoboda, Jos. Hejl, Valentin Kaizr, Jos. Zoul, Fr. Marx, Vác. Kovářík, Jos. Kuchař, Fr. Kolář, Ed. Kalina, St. Husák, Jos. Veselý, Vác. Svoboda, Jan Kůs, Fr. Langmajer Jr., Fr. Cibulka, Fr. Kubrna, Vác. Anděl, Mat. Krejčí, Jak. Kubrna, Otto W. Haas, Jan Zikán, Jan Pekárek, Jan Mácha and Jan Lisý.
Thomas Paine, Order No. 79 of Č.S.P.S.
in Cincinnati, Ohio
Through the efforts of two well-known Č.S.P.S. members still alive today, brothers Beneš and Vilém Vokůrka, 12 Czechs from this area gathered on July 2, 1882, to learn about the federation’s principles and agree to establish such an order here as well.
But such aspirations seemed hopeless since there was already an order here by the name of Slovanská Lípa, and the proposed new order was of such miniscule membership that it did not seem to make much sense to form a second order. The good will and firm and promising foundation of the Č.S.P.S. convinced many that strength could only be found in numbers and added to < the membership of Slovanské Lípy <more members of Slovanská lípa joined the ČSPS – these have different meanings, which is correct? That there are more members in SL, or that more SL members joined CSPS?>. To find more members, notifications were published in such magazines as Dennice Novověku, Dělnické Listy and the Cincinnati Volksblatt to spread the news among our compatriots, including those who were living in German communities.
Based on a proposal by Vojt Beneš, a meeting on July 30, 1882, ruled to name the club Thomas Paine. Although names of many famous men were suggested, after it was explained who Thomas Paine was, all members present were satisfied with that choice.
A meeting on August 12, 1882 went better, and 12 new members were added to the order, although it was not the practice back then to record these names.
On September 24, 1882, the club was accepted into the Č.S.P.S. under the name of Thomas Paine, Order No. 79.
The following made up the order’s 22 members:
Hrůza Fr., Beneš Vojta, Brůžek Vav., Partl Vác., Lučík Jos., Vokurka Vilém, Beneš Jan, Heida Jos., Táborský Kar., Stránský Fr., Horák Jan Jr., Horák Jan Sr., Janoušek Fr., Pertl Fr., Suchánek Jan, Řezáč Fr., Janoušek Jan, Procházka Jan, Žížala Jan, Matuška Jos., Horák Fr. and Beneš Anton.
The order’s first officials were elected only for a period of three months and were the following:
Hrůza Fr. as chairman, Vilém Vokurka as supervisor, Janoušek Frant. as secretary, Partl Vác. as treasurer, Táborský Karel as accountant and Beneš Vojta as conductor.
Support for ill members was set at $5 a week, which still applies.
Death benefits were paid out to the following four families: $750 to Mich. Vroblovský, who passed away on 22 November, 1885; $1,000 to Jan Žížala, who passed away on February 16, 1889; $1,000 to Jan Horák, who passed away on July 4, 1892; and $1,000 to Fr. Fisher, who passed away in Baltimore, Mo. on April 24, 1893.
As prescribed by its constitution, from 1883 until 1893 the order paid out the following hospitalization support and death benefits:
Hospitalization of members $93.49
Death benefits $3,136.85
Postal costs $49.00
Paper, statutes and documents required
throughout its existence $31.00
For the magazine from 1883-89 $24.60
Support of other orders from 1883-93 $37.30
For the Jan Hus Memorial $10.00
Support of Příbram miners $5.00
</ file 45, page 76
The order does not have a library, for which reason no books other than those specifically for the order have been purchased, amounting to $9.80.
The order does not have its own hall, and so meetings are held in the German Arbeiter Hall.
The order maintains the same printed forms, statutes and regulations as do other orders of Č.S.P.S.
In 1892 the Thomas Paine order sent $5 to the National Committee to aid a homeless shelter and has vowed to make the same donation every year.
The order’s only revenues were from monthly required fees.
The order does not organize profit generating picnics, balls or other events as not many Czechs live in the Cincinnati area, and so the order is more or less on its own.
The pay set aside for the order’s officials totals $10 annually.
18 members joined the order between the years of 1882 and 1894, while six were expelled during the same period.
Compiled by Jos. Heida
Václav Snajdr, Order No. 92 of Č.S.P.S.
in Bellaire, Ohio
Václav Šnajdr, Order No. 92 was incorporated into Č.S.P.S. on June 30 of 1883, in Bellaire, Ohio.
The 13 founding members were as follows: Jos. Hora, Vác. Akrman, Fr. Holub, Fr. Červenka, Jan Pos, Fr. Andrdle, Vojt. Burda, Frant. Šrámek, Fr. Herink, Jos. Hlat, Jos. Webr, Jan Haišman and Fr. Burda.
The respectable August Votápka and Vác. Rychlík as chairman and secretary of the Grand Order of Ohio respectively, incorporated the order into the federation and fully briefed the other members on how they were to manage the new order.
At the start the following officials were elected to the order:
Jos. Hora as chairman, Jos. Webr as supervisor, Fr. Hering as secretary, Vác. Akerman as accountant, Fr. Anderle as treasurer and Fr. Červenka as conductor.
Brother Fr. Hrubecký, a member of the Pravdomil order and also the Grand Order, took part in the Václav Šnajdr order’s incorporation into Č.S.P.S. and was elected to represent the new order at the Grand Order of Ohio, as it remains today.
The order ruled to meet at 9am on the first Sunday of each month and, at the end of the meeting, Brother Václav Rychlík, secretary for the Grand Order, encouraged the members to remain faithful to the obligations they had established with their new federation of brothers, and in great detail explained the beautiful purpose of the Č.S.P.S., which had been expanding very rapidly across America to become a core establishment among Czech compatriots. In conclusion all present loudly exclaimed: “Na zdar!”
The following is from a financial statement of Václav Šnajdr, Order No. 92 of Č.S.P.S. between the dates of July 30, 1883, and July 30, 1894 − a period spanning 11 years.
Expenditures towards support:
For a monument commemorating Klácel $4.50
For a monument in Prague commemorating Hus $15.00
For Jan Hus monument in Bohemian Village, Long Island $5.00
For the construction of a hall for the Prokop Velký order $5.00
Collection among brothers to help those afflicted by
flooding in Bohemia $8.00
For Czech miners in Coal City, IL. $5.00
Purchase of tickets for five events organized by other orders $25.00
At the request of Č.S.P.S. orders, contributions for ill brothers
made in addition to regular support $88.58
Total revenues from the order’s founding until July 30 of 1894:
Registration Fees from new members $429.00
Monthly fees $3,113.50
Fees for death benefits $6,840.00
Fees for death benefits to wives of members $924.53
Trust level <čestné stupně > $393.61
In support of ill brothers $2,862.50
Death benefits for deceased brothers $6,840.00
Death benefits for wives of brothers $94.06
Payments per head $94.06
Postal costs $110.32
Expenditures to club hall $20.00
Loans to brothers $136.00
For the federation $64.70
Various expenditures $620.52
Total revenues from 30 July, 1883 to
30 July, 1894 $11,712.00
Total expenditures for same period $11,672.63
Revenues less expenditures $39.37
Loans to brothers $285.99
Fixed assets $9.35
Total assets on hand $344.71
</ file 46, page 78 – first page illegible
</ file 47, page 80
Chairman Vác. Pecl, supervisor Mart. Trojan, secretary M. Karlovec, accountant Jan Vachuta, treasurer Jan Šťastný, conductor Jan Rybák, inner guard Fr. Makovička and outer guard Anton Kálal.
Brother Anton Pik, who was supposed to conduct the event, was not able to attend as the ex-chairman.
The celebrations of this order’s founding ended with festivities in Maňák’s garden on Finn Street, which many clubs and corporations had taken part in with their banners.
During these celebrations the ex-chairman of the Grand Order of Ohio, Brother Fr. Payer, had spoken knowledgeably about the core principles of free-thinking and explained to those present its overall purpose.
After completion of the speeches and reading out of congratulations, some of which came by telegram, the Lumír choir sang a beautiful four-part harmony, after which the chairman, Václav Pecl, thanked all those present for their warmth and support. The group then returned to the garden, where another ceremony brought the event to an end.
Those present often think back to that occasion, which ended late in the evening in good spirits and friendship.
The entrance fee and earnings from such events became the primary source of income for the order and were all used to buy the most needed books and meet the other requirements of the order.
All of the order’s revenues came from entrance fees to such events, fees, charitable donations, transfers, earnings from organized balls, excursions, gatherings and parties, and were used to support brothers who had fallen ill, to provide voluntary donations to help out brothers in financial duress, maintain Czech Sunday schools and to promote the good name of Czechs here and abroad.
Much financial support had also been sent back home either to fund national enterprises and cultural projects, or to support compatriots afflicted in some way.
All our records were destroyed in a fire of 1883, including our property, which the order was not able to replace since the insurance had already expired. This cost the order a loss in assets amounting to $180.00.
I would like to describe in detail how our order continued to grow.
The founding members Jan Pekař and Ant. Rybák joined the order at a meeting on August 11. Jan Škola then joined at a meeting on August 25, while the following founding members joined on September 15:
Fr. Procházka, Jan Pech, Karel Žižka, Václav Žižka, Vác. Altman, Štěpán Čada, Fr. Hojda and Jan Metlička.
The remaining members joined…
Earnings left over were stored in a savings account, or otherwise lent to brothers at a good rate of 6% per annum. Considering the short life of this order it did not have the opportunity to build up a large cash reserve. Each year brought with it some calamity and many ill brothers, meaning that the coffers were bled dry from year to year.
Recently some funds were earmarked for the construction of a national hall, but as the patrons stored the funds in a bank account, construction progressed slowly and we were told it was due to a lack of funds. In any event, during this time, our fellow Catholics built two beautiful churches next door. Good success to them!
Over the past thirteen years four of our brothers have passed away − two from natural causes, two from poisoning, and one wife has passed away.
Brothers Vošmík and Alois Zelenka died of tuberculosis, while Brothers Fr. Budař and Jos. Daněk died of poisoning. The wives of Brothers Jan Pekař and Ant. Pešek also passed away − one died of cancer and the other died in childbirth.
Our total assets currently stand at $600 in cash and loans, with $200 in property.
It is also worth mentioning that Brother K. Jílek, a member of our order, has been confined to a mental institution in Newburg, O., for the past five years.
Břetislav I., Order No. 96 of Č.S.P.S.’s membership currently stands at 72, and is as follows.
List of Members of Břetislav I., Order No. 96
Vác. Pecl, Ant. Pick, Jos. Pokorný, Jan Pechoušek, Jan Pekař, Frant. Kaucký, Ant. Kálal, Fr. Kukrál, Fr. Buřval, Vác. Homolka, Vác. Holpuch, Jos. Herold, Ant. Makovička, Fr. Makovička, Jan Maleček, Mat. Šanda, Jan Škola, Jan Šťastný, Jan Rybák, Ant. Rybák, Mart. Trojan, Vác. Vlach, Jan Vachuta, Ant. Zborník, Jan Štěpán, Hynek Svoboda, Jos. Bolek, Fr. Procházka, Jan Pech, Vác. Altman, Štěpán Čada, Jan Metlička, Vác. Kalva, Ignác Franta, Aug. Bubák, Ant. Vaník, Jan Zelenka, Jan Kálal, Fr. Vorlíček, Fr. Bláha, Otto Jiřelle, Jan Cink, Gothard Duchoslav, Vác. Trojan, Vác. Němeček, Vác. Kočmit, Vác. Rybák, Karel Vodráška, Karel Jílek (presenly in the Newburg mental institute), Fr. Mokrý, Jos. Bláha, Fr. Koudela, Fr. Sluka, Vác. Kočovský, Karel Rybák, Rud. Papež, Fr. Mareš, V. Hlavín, Ant. Pešek, Fr. Friček, Fr. Měchura, Fr. Čada, Jos. Čapek, Karel Kolář, Jan Mašek, Jan Tichý, Vác. Cipra, Vinc. Plechatý, Fr. Orel, Anton Melka, Fr. Vetešník, Vác and Štíbr.
From the above the following were unanimously elected to preside as the order’s officials during 1895:
Fr. Sluka as chairman, Jos. Bláha as supervisor, August Bubák as secretary, Fr. Friček as accountant, Ant. Rybák as treasurer, Karel Rybák as conductor, Fr. Bláha as inner guard and Jos. Pokorný as outer guard.
</ file 48, page 82
Čeští Bratři, Order No. 103 of Č.S.P.S.
in Cleveland, Ohio
Inspired by their compatriots in other parts of Cleveland, Czech patriots living in Brooklyn founded a club with the intention of incorporating it into the powerful and charitable Č.S.P.S., which by then had spread throughout all the Czech communities of America.
After several meetings the club finally ruled to join the famous federation on March 16, 1885, under the name of Čeští Bratří (Czech Brothers), Order No. 103.
The celebrations which took place at M. Pekař were long remembered by all the compatriots living in that part of the city. The founding members were as follows:
J Peterka, Fr. Henig, M. Brabenec, F. Kudrna, M. Kozelka, J. Charvát, M. Mareš, J. Lusk. T. Čuchna, F. Kliment, F. Kronika, J. Pavlín, M. Kolb, J. Beránek, Černý J. Koptiš, R. J. Satler and M. Bouša.
Since the order’s founding 45 members had joined, three had passed away and 11 had been expelled, such that 49 remained in total by the end of 1894.
According to the statutes, a sum of $750 was paid out to one deceased brother and $1,000 to another.
Four wives of brothers had passed away, a sum of $250 paid out for each.
A total sum of $1,428 had been paid out to members fallen ill.
$106.55 was paid out in support of a Czech school and for cultural purposes.
$88.12 was granted to afflicted brothers from other orders.
Total revenues throughout the order’s existence $10,163.91
Total expenditures amounted to $9,034.68
Tangible and intangible assets remaining $1,129.33
There were a total of five events and parties designed to strengthen the brotherhood, all of which were a huge success.
The order always meets in the same room, owned by Mr. Pintner and located on Clark Street.
List of Members in Čeští Bratří, Order No. 103
J. Peterka, M. Brabenec, F. Henig, M. Kozelka, F. Kliment, F. Kudrna, F. Kronika, J. Lusk, J. Pavlín, A. Nový, A. Bursík, F. Červenka, V. Schorník, J Pintner, F. Mára, J. Kus, A. Bursík, F. Hrneček, J. Kotápiš, J. Tomec, J. Štědronský, P. Mařík, V. Vondráček, E. Hrabák, V. Vančata, J. Brabenec, V. Medlín, F. Vondrák, T. Vonásek, F. Stíndl, F. Šebánek, J. Smola, F. Semrád, F. Bursík, V. Keltner, V. Chabák, F. Sakryd, A. Holoubek, F. Kudrlička, K. Mašek, T. Svoboda, J. Blížil V. Jirava, V. Brabenec, J. Kozelka, V. Kopačka, V. Staněk and F. Burijanek.
At the end of 1894 the official committee was comprised of the following:
J. Peterka as the chairman, J. Štědronský as the vice-chairman, Fr. Stindl as the secretary, V Jirava as the accountant, F. Sakryd as the treasurer, V. Keltner as the conductor, J. Tomec as the inner guard and A. Bursík as the outer guard.
Sion, Order No. 110 of Č.S.P.S
in Cleveland, Ohio
In 1883, when some compatriots living in one of the more outlying areas of Cleveland saw the moral benefits and wisdom in starting their own order, they began to take measures to do so.
At first Brother Ant. Lukeš, one of the younger compatriots and the previous owner of the hall in which the Sion order still gathers, had intended to establish a Sokol club <I had gathered this was a proper noun, but here it’s used to indicate a type of club, so it needs glossing – what is a Sokol club?>, but they reasoned that many young members would be required for such a club, and as the area lacked young men, and because there were still many older compatriots living there, they ruled to form a Č.S.P.S. order instead.
The club’s first meeting was held on August 3, 1883, where 15 members were recorded. It was decided that they would apply to the federation once their numbers were strong enough.
Subsequent meetings added 11 new members, bringing the total up to 26, who voted to elect brothers Ant. Lukeš and A. Žák as the first chairman and secretary respectively. Preparations were soon made to submit a request for inclusion in the federation. At that time the Third Catholic Association had been founded nearby, and many from our order transferred there.
The 15 that stayed remained faithful to the cause and continued to take measures to achieve their goals and to seek out a suitable name for the club. Of the many names suggested, the club finally decided on Sion.
It shouldn’t take too long for me to briefly explain why this name was chosen. At that time a Sunday paper by the name of Dennice Novověku circulated </ The Learned Federation </Jednotě Osvojených >, a well-known historical novel by </ Karel Herloš in which one of the heroes was an esteemed Czech Hussite of noble birth, Roháč of Dubé. He owned a castle by the name of Sion (Zion) which served as a safe haven and stronghold for himself and his army against the crusaders and Zikmund’s bailiffs. Since most of the club’s members were readers of the above paper, they decided to name the club as they did.
Once they came to this conclusion they immediately submitted a request to join the federation, included the usual fee of $25, and sent it to the Grand Order of Ohio on March 3, 1884. On April 24 the new order, Sion, No. 110, was approved and incorporated into the federation on July 14, 1884. Brothers Vác. Rychlík and Em. Payer gave speeches during the lavish ceremonies and the following brothers were received:
Jan Ineman, Jos. Počta, AI. Žák, Tom Hess, O. Chott, Jos. Januška, Jos. Voříšek, Jiří Berg, J. Koudelka, Julius Mošanský and Jos. Koudelka.
Brothers A. Lukeš from the Svornost order, Fr. Liška from the Bratří v Kruhu order and J. Koudelka from the Jan Kollár order were also received by transfer papers.
The first elected officials were as follows: Jos Koudelka as chairman, Ant. Lukeš as secretary, Al. Žák as accountant, Fr. Liška as conductor, Vác. Chott as supervisor, Tom. Hess as treasurer, Jos. Počta as inner guard and Jan Žižka as outer guard.
Since its founding the order blossomed wonderfully, climbing to a membership of 40 over a period of six years and controlling $60 in assets. Over the past four years, due to many brothers falling ill, the order found itself financially weaker. Only one brother, Ant. Černý, passed away, to whose family the order paid out a death benefit of $1,000. The wives of Brothers Andrease Kirkl, Vác. Baner and Fr. Pánka also passed away and the order paid out $250 for each of them. Over the past 10 years the Sion order has paid out $750 in support to brothers fallen ill and $85 in charity. At present the membership stands at 32 and the order owns assets amounting to $404.32.
This sums up the history of the order.
</ file 49, page 84
List of Members of Sion, Order No. 110
Jos. Koudelka, Ant. Lukeš, Fr. Liška, Al. Žák, Jos. Počta, Jos Voříšek, Jan Ineman, Jos. Januška, Jiří Birampl, Julius Mošanský, Jos Říha, Vác. Bauer, Vác. Novák, Jan Rozenbaum, Vác. Rozenbaum, Jos. Soukup, Al. Papež, Jos. Pokorný, Fr. Kůs, Fr. Černý, Fr. Stainer, Jan Batysta, Fr. Peck, Fr. Bierhanzl, Jos. Veverka, Jos. Karl, Mat. Stefan, Ferd. Kebrdle, Ed. Miller, Dom. Janda, Jos. Vošmík and Jos. Šlepr.
Čechomír, Order No. 123 of Č.S.P.S.
in Cleveland, Ohio
On April 3 of 1885 several Czech compatriots living in Cleveland met in what was the 14th ward (now the 25th) at J. Ondráček’s on Portage Street, and voted to establish a club which would later be incorporated into a support federation. Due to lack of space the club was later moved to Vác. Klipec’s on Hamm Street, where a meeting was held every Sunday afternoon and where additional members were accepted.
By May 5 the membership had climbed to 37 and the club voted to join the Č.S.P.S. under the name of Čechomír.
After a thorough medical examination of all members and their wives, the request for incorporation was sent to the Grand Order of Ohio, the customary $25 application fee included. After the Grand Order examined the application and received approval from the local orders, it sent the application to the National Main Order in Chicago, Ill., which confirmed the acceptance under the name of Čechomír, Order No. 123. On June 27 of 1885 the Grand Order of Ohio ceremonially received the new order and officially appointed its elected officials. The ceremonies were concluded by an outing attended by all the local orders of Č.S.P.S. and Sokol clubs. The ceremony and outing were received with the greatest success.
The first officials were as follows:
Jan Ondráček as chairman, Ed. Sojka as supervisor, Vác. Klipec as secretary, Josef Operman as accountant, Ant. Kaizr as treasurer, Jos. David as conductor, Jos. Huleš as inner guard and Fr. Horažďovský as outer guard.
The order’s founding members were as follows:
By transfer papers: V. Klipec from the Bratří v Kruhu, Order No. 22, Ed. Sojka and Jos. David from Jan Kollár, Order No. 59; then V. Chábek, M. Churáček, V. Filip, J. Ondráček, J. Huleš, J. Procházka, J. Blížil, Fr. Horažďovský, Jos. Pešek, J. Operman, Aug. Vondrák, Jan Godfrid, J. Zelenka, Ant. Kajzr, Jos. Cigler, Fr. Třešnička, J. Skalák, Jan Šafařík, Fr. Kostohryz, V. Řežábek, Jos. Nešpor, Jan Novák, Vinc. Slabý, Jos. Luzum, Vác. Krumphanzl, Jos. Šemich, Mat. Němeček, Mat. Drha, Hynek Krumphanzl, Kar. Pokorný, Jak. Vacík and Jos. Žitka.