Section Nine of Czech/Bohemian History Book Translation
Pages 123 to 135
Acceptance wasn’t a problem, the club becoming Equality Order No. 6350 of the federation on October 2 of 1877, with the event organized by officials of the Cleveland United District.
The founders of this court <Dvur> came to this name because they were the second Czech order in the world to have been admitted into this federation. This federation was made up of many nationalities and the Czech acceptance into this Court of Foresters </ gave Czechs the same rights as other nationalities in this great state of freedom. Such a notable step forward for equality deserved the respect of a name.
The Federation of Old Foresters (Jednota Starých Lesníků) has expanded to all over the world and has its origins back in England, in 1730. Robin Hood and Little John are said to be its founders.
The origins of this order go back to when peasants, evicted through no fault of their own, for they were good and charitable citizens, were forced to survive in the forests of England. They eventually expanded into Ireland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, France, Australia, Africa and the English colonies.
The first order in North America was established in 1750. The federation was made up of its highest order, which gathered every two years (always at a new location) to vote in new officials, and all the other regions, districts and courts.
Between 1886 and 1888 the highest court in England declared that all orders, including those in the United States, must accept members regardless of the color of their skin – meaning that blacks and Chinese were now permitted.
A memorable meeting on August 15 of 1889, held in Minneapolis, Minnesota, voted to break away from its English roots and found a new Federation for the United States of North America.
A total of 600 representatives had attended that meeting, of which seven were Czech. The new federation was named the Older Order of American Foresters </ .
Now that the federation had set up its structure it discussed the matter of the Court of Equality (Dvůr Rovnoprávnost) < .
Any healthy and proper male aged between 18 and 50 can become a member, the only obligation being that he must pay an amount reflecting his age, and then 50 cents each month as a contribution to the court’s coffers. In exchange for this, the member is entitled to $5 weekly in the case of illness, and $100 is given to every wife of a deceased member to assist with funeral expenses.
The federation also set up a death or insurance fund, whereby only members are entitled to such insurance. This fund was set up in 1874, its premium amounting to one thousand and five hundred dollars.
Fees were according to age and the fund was put under supervision of the High Court. The Equality Court (Dvor Rovnoprávnost) has 19 insured members: 16 at $1,000 each and three at $500.
On October 2, 1877 the elected officials were as follows:
Jan Aubrecht as chairman, Louis Boháček as vice-chairman, Václav Votava as policy secretary, Josef Bečvář as treasurer, Josef Línek as accountant, Anton Šícha as first conductor, Matěj Karlovec as second conductor, Fr. Prosek as inner guard, Jan Prosek as outer guard, with Jan Kušta, Jan Řehák and Václav Šafář on the asset committee.
Financial State of the Equality Court
Total revenues from 1877-1894 $12,169.00
Total expenditures during same period $11,466.00
Held in cash $703.00
Illness < benefits paid out during period $6,190.09
Other expenses $5,013.00
$50 each paid out to seven wives from the
burial fund $350.00
$75 each for two and $100 each for nine deceased members $1,050.00
Total burial payouts $1,400.00
Paid out to one widow from the
insurance fund $2,000.00
Paid to two widows, $1,000 each $2,000.00
On October 2 of 1894 a beautiful banner was unveiled during the celebrations for the court’s founding, which adorns our hall to this day. Its cost exceeded one hundred dollars, an amount that came out from the pockets of its members.
The following brothers passed away during the court’s existence: V. Marouš in 1878, Frank Knechtl in 1890, Václav Slapnička, Ignác Steiner and Jan Plaišl in 1891, Václav Hanuš, Wm. Miller and Jan Žák in 1892, and Anton Svatoš, Vác. Šafář, and Vojtěch Kopfstein in 1894.
In January of 1895 the following officials were elected:
Václav Votava as head forester, Adolf Taubr as deputy forester, Adolf Kutil as treasurer, Jan Žahorr as accountant, Vojta Andrdle as policy secretary, Václav Purma as first conductor, Jos. Exner as second conductor, Karel Stech as inner guard and Josef Skalák as outer guard, with the asset committee made up of: Frank Janovský, Václav Heidenreich and Mat. Zeman. Brother Fr. Vlna represents the grand chairman in his role as deputy. Vlna was the former head forester for the Jan Hus Court and is now responsible for maintaining order at the Equality Court.
The court also elects its own physician, which has been Dr. J. Sýkora for several years now. The court holds meetings twice a month, always on the second and fourth Tuesday of the month, and always at a set time, at which all affairs are settled.
Members of the Equality Court
Aubrecht Jan, Anderle Vojt, Alois J., Bečvář Jakub, Bláha Štěpán, Bohuslav V., Bohuslav Tom., Blížil Jan, Bezděk Fr., Červenka Jos., Černý Jos., Černohorský A., Diviš Alois, Erhard Ferd., Eiba Jos., Exner Josef, Froněk Jos., Fňouka M., Grunwald J., Gebhard Vojt., Hablesreither Karel, Hesoun F., Hůlka K.,Hanžl J.,Hess V., Heidenreich V., Chýška H., Charvát V., Jirovec F., Jankovský Jos., Jiřele J, Jelínek Fr., Janovský Fr., Jehlík Fr., Kovanda Jan, Ivušta Ant., Kušta Fr., Krejča Václav, Kadleček Vinc., Kieger Fr., Kutil Rudolf, Koubek Jan, Karlovec Ant., Kysela Fr., Kadleček Vác., Krejzl Fr., Krejzl Jos., Kellner Karel, Kamenský K., Kozák Jan, Karlovec Fr., Kuliš Vác., Kuliš Quido, Kovern Wm., Kodet J., Krejčí Jan, Kozák Jos., Karlovec J., Kovářík Vác., Línek Fr , Lukáš Vojt., Linhard V., Lomický Filip, Marek Vác., Musil Jos., Mudra V., Mašl Jakub, Munč Jos., Mašl A., Mára F., Michna Ed., Neubauer V., Novák J. M., Náperstek Aug , Pták Fr., Prošek Jan Panec M., Placák Ant., Purma Václav, Pokorný Voj., Pták Ant, Polcar K., Prošek Jos, Kebák Jan, Řežábek Bart., Rosol Josef, Smíšek F., Šídlo Tom., Sluka Fr., Stožický Vác., Smrt V., Šindelář Jan, Šnajdr V., Šácha Ant., Šácha Jos., Sluka Jan, Štván Alb., Štědronský Jos., Stuchal Fr., Štíbr A., Štíbr Jos., Skala Jos., Skalák Jos., Svoboda Vác., Škovský K., Šícha Fr., Skala Fr., Šácha Ed., Štědronský Jan, Svoboda Fr., Stech K., Turek V., True K., Turek K., Třebíský Jos., Třebíský Vác.,Tauber Adolf, Volava Vác., Veselý Jan, Večerka Fr., Volf Fr., Volf Jos.,Vlach Fr., Vorel Jan, Wiesenberger K., Vomasta Vác., Votava Fr., Votava Karel, Zbubna J., Žahour Jan Sr., Žižka V., Zeman M., Žák Fr., Zborník Jan, Žítek V., Zoubek Jos., Zelinka Ant., Žahour Theodor and Žahour Jan Jr.
Vlastimil Court A.O.F. of A <What is A.O.F of A? Looks very awkward in this format, we do not use words in the middle of acronyms in Eng> No. 7048
This court was established in 1883 with 26 members, and has been successful ever since, its membership growing to its present level of 41.
Over time some members had been expelled (have left??)<?> while others joined, with membership peaking at 45. The court presently holds $400 in its bank account.
Meetings are held in the hall of Jan Bejček on the first Thursday of every month.
List of Vlastimil Court Officials and Members
Fratišek Sprostý as head forester, Jos. Nádeník Sr. as deputy forester, F. J. Hnátek as financial secretary, Fr. Fanta as treasurer, Jan Štědronský as scribe, Fr. Vápeník as senior conductor, Jan Kober as junior conductor, Jan Zajíček as inner guard, Jos. Nádeník Jr., as outer guard, Alois Vachalovský as custodian and Jan Drda as flag bearer, with Alois Vachalecký, Matěj Čermák and Karel Kocian sitting on the asset committee.
Members are: Jos. Čanda, Jan Charvát, Anton Cipra, Fr. Hnátek Sr., Frant. Hodouš, Ondřej Hepl, Jos. Hanket, Jan Kovář, Fr. Kozlík, Jos. Kovář, V. Korecký, Jan Klimenta, Jos. Ivlimenta, Fr. Línek, Jos. Lepa, Jos. Mokráček, Karel Mašek, Mat. Martínek, Fr. Němec, Jos. Pflegr, Jan Polák, Jak. Prokeš, Mat. Pešek, Jos. Řídel and Jan Šimeček.
<< file 90, page 158 other nationalities, who had similar Forester Courts that successfully developed into modern and enlightened organizations. <<looks like a bunch was erased. Why?>
Czech clubs in this field also included the Záboj Court, the Equality Court (Dvůr Rovnoprávnost) and the Jan Žižka Court in the 17th, 24th and 25th wards, with Jan Hus on the southern side of town and Vlastimil in the west.
The following submitted applications to establish new orders of other clubs:
Jan Aubrecht, J. Musil and F. Vlach from Equality Court No. 6350, and A. Pick and Jan Vachuta of Záboj Court No. 6348 of A. O. F.
Brother Aubrecht was well acquainted with the establishment and management of such courts, as well as being a skilled speaker. He explained to those who attended the public purpose of their meetings, the charitable and useful qualities of such courts, and suggested they vote in a temporary chairman and secretary, those roles being taken by Václav Záveský and František Vlach.
These meetings also voted on a low registration fee of $1 to make the club accessible to a greater number.
After several meetings the following joined the club:
Václav Vitcha, Václav Záveský, Josef Friedl, K. Bureš, Petr Vacík, Václav Jirásek and Frank Vlach from Equality Court No. 6350 on March 1 of 1888; Dominik Bureš, Jiří Štípek, Jos. Holeček, František Matějka, Matěj Král and Jos. Vejrostek on March 11; Karel Kadeřábek, František Buřval, Frant. Kuchař, Jos. Trojan, Ignác Sýkora, August Bubák, Jan Hanš, Jan Škola, Jos. Hrubý, J. Operman, Fr. Tupý and Ignác Švec on March 18; August Smidt, Jos. Kerner, Lukáš Minářík, Václav Terfler, Anton Procházka, Anton Kočmit, Karel Šnajdr, Jan Hofman and Josef Voříšek on March 25; and Václav Altman, Frank Lukáš, Josef Lisý, Frank Rainer, Václav Šulc, Frank Koudela, Vincenc Sýkora, Josef Michal and Jan Novotný on April 1.
A meeting held on April 15 voted to accept a proposal by Brother Jos. Malý of Záboj Court to include Brothers Václav Záveský, Jan Hanš and August Smith in the order. On April 29 the following were also nominated: F. Cibálek, F. Belinger, František Košťál, Tomáš Hrdlička and Fr. Sýkora. The same meeting decided that future registrees should pay $3, which applied to those who had applied at the club’s meeting on May 13 of 1888, including Mr. Kostohryz, Vác. Kalva, Vac. Bláha, Vinc. Pekař and Jan Lisý.
It was also decided that the next step should be an introductory meeting and that it should be held on May 19, 1888. At that meeting the club ceased to exist in its current form, when it became absorbed into the federation.
Introductory ceremonies were held on May 19, 1888 in the federation building by the Záboj order. The meeting also decided to organize a social gathering in order to invite members from other foreign-language courts. The Záboj Court was requested to organize such an event in its own hall, after which they would escort those gathered to our hall and accompany them with music.
The first protocol was written up by Záboj court’s secretary, Brother Jos. Charvát, and this first meeting elected in the following officials:
Brother Anton Pick as court head, Václav Záveský as deputy head, Jos. Lisý as financial secretary, August Bubák as treasurer, Václav Jirák as protocol secretary, Josef Friedl as senior conductor, Albert Cabálek as junior conductor, V. Šulc as inner guard and Petr Vacík as outer guard.
Because Brothers Friedl and Šulc were not present at the meeting other brothers accepted their positions on their behalf. <I don’t understand this… if other brothers were elected then why are Friedl and Sulc on the list? Do you mean that the accepted their roles in absentia, i.e. that other brothers accepted their positions for them?>
Once the brothers were assigned their positions and they announced their vows, it was explained to them what their new roles entailed.
The head of the High Court (Vysoký Dvůr) gave a speech in English on the purpose of the Foresters, and explained that the federation was founded by workers and not rich people, which is why so many orders were springing up and why the Foresters had been received with such favor by the brothers. He reminded the brothers to work for the success of the Foresters, so that it could overcome dark times and succeed.
Over a short period of time the new court accumulated the respectable amount of $482.55, which it deposited in a savings bank to gain interest. It also now holds $300 worth of assets, which includes its beautiful silk American banner unveiled with great pomp on March 28, 1892 to the attendance of many Czech and Slavic clubs.
Those who were able to attend the event will remember it for a long time. Mrs. Lukášová, creator of the banner, and <Mrs? Ms?> Bubáková, its godmother, <flagged this before. I don’t understand what the banner’s godmother is!> embroidered the banner with a beautiful three-colored thread showing the name of its ceremonial unveiling. The maids of honor <if they are unmarried then it’s maids, although this is usually a term reserved for weddings>, Miss. Vitcha, Miss Trojan, Miss Lukáš, Miss Sýkora, Miss Záveský and Miss Bureš, added beautiful wreaths with white stripes – the color of innocence. The banner was unveiled in the usual manner.
The club’s assets have accumulated over the years, from registration fees, monthly contributions and events and outings. These assets have been deposited into three funds: 50% of the proceeds from contributions, registration fees and other sources of income were deposited in the support fund; 5% of proceeds in the charitable fund; and 45% of proceeds in the domestic fund. There is also a special fourth fund into which donations and outing proceeds are deposited. This fund is available for special expenses and charitable donations not falling under the statutes, such as brothers in dire circumstances or from other Lodges <, or for our compatriot enterprises, either here or back home, who require our aid.
Since the federation has its origins in England, although meetings are run in our native tongue, correspondence is always in English. At the moment our court is 50 strong in upstanding brothers, governed by the following officials:
A. Burda as head forester, Ant. Kočmit as deputy forester, Jan Král as secretary of protocol, Matěj Král as financial secretary, Václav Šulc as treasurer, Václav Sýkora as senior conductor, Matouš Vlach as junior conductor, Alb. Cabálek as inner guard and Jan Pekárek as outer guard, with Jan Vachuta as the ex-chairman.
The club was sad to see two of its brothers go to their eternal rest while the club was still new: Václav Vitcha, who shot himself on September 18, 1893 and was buried two days later; and Ignác Sýkora, who died of a stroke and was buried in the home country on January 31, 1894. During this time two wives of our brothers had also passed away: Mrs. Košťálová, who passed away due to blood poisoning on January 31, 1892, and Mrs. Barbora Vacík, who passed away from childbirth at the advanced age of 39 on January 17, 1893.
A total of 65 brothers have registered with our club since the beginning until the present day.
Of those, 15 were expelled or left, leaving the present membership of 50 good standing brothers.
This brief outline of the life and management of the Jan Amos Komenský Court has revealed its function both internally and externally, as it is founded on a brotherhood intent on doing the most good it can, and on expanding the court as a single entity, one which can stand proud among our foreign brothers for many years to come.
After these points were made known the collective resounded in a single voice: “Na zdar!”
Written by August Bubák
Jan Neruda Court, No. 8015 A.O.F. of A.
The Jan Neruda Court was established in the city of Cleveland on September 24, 1891 at the residence of Matěj Štefan on 140 Hosmer Street.
Its naming was made official by the Equality Old Foresters of America, No. 6350 on November 26 of 1891.
The club’s official naming was overseen by Václav Votava as its head forester, Jan Žahour as its financial secretary and a large collection of citizens, when it was officially named as Jan Neruda Court, No. 8015 of the Ancient Foresters of America.
Its founding members were as follows:
Jos. Počta, Jos. Soukup, Jan Batista, Jos. Veverka, J. Karl, Alois Papež, Ignác Svoboda, Karel Šepfr, J. Hronek, Jan Veverka, Jos. Šmolík, V. Černý, Mat Štefan, Jos. Vošmik, Jan Batista, Jos. Drasner, Jan Novák, F. Fánek, August Šipka, František Ineman, Karel Janda, Anton Pokorný and Ant. Kopravský.
The club started with a membership of 23, with the following elected as officials at that time:
Jos. Počta as head forester, Jos. Vošmik as financial secretary, Jan Batista as deputy forester, Matěj Štefan as treasurer, Karel Šepfr as secretary of protocol, Jan Batista as senior conductor, Jos. Soukup as junior conductor, Jos. Veverka as inner guard, Josef Karl as outer guard, with Jan Hronek, Josef Drasuer, and Jan Veverka on the asset committee.
In 1891 the Jan Neruda court had $35.05 in its coffers and 23 members in its brotherhood. In 1892 the club had $35.05 in assets, 25 new members and an extra $297.90 into its coffers <Correct? So the total is now $35.05 + $297.90?>. The next year one new member joined while another left, and $51.43 was added to the coffers.
In 1894 $24.17 was added to the court‘s assets while the coffers held $508.64 in cash.
$191.33 was paid out to ill brothers, while in 1893 one brother passed away. Ten members were expelled in 1894 while one left, leaving the membership at 36.
In 1895 the following officials were elected:
Jos. Soukup as head forester, A. Pokorný as deputy forester, Josef Počta as financial secretary, Jan Batista as treasurer, Iguác Hrách as secretary of protocol, Ig. Svoboda as senior conductor, K. Oktjvec as junior conductor, Jan Novák as inner guard and Jos. Svoboda as outer guard.
Jos. Soukup Jos. Počta
Head Forester Financial Secretary
Sanctuary of Equality, No. 6350 of Sheep of America
This club (Svatyně Rovnoprávnost č. 6350 Ovčáků Ameriky) was established on January 15, 1894 in the hall of Slovanská Lípa, with the following founding members:
Žahour Jan, Prosek Jan, Taubr Adolf, Votava Václav, Skalák Jos. Stádník Fr., Mošl Jakob, Štědronský Jos., Exner Jos., Kellner K., Zelinka Ant., Kutil Rudolf, Mudra Václav, Žahour Theodor,Kadleček V., Kovářík Václav, Šícha Fr., Charvát Vincenc, Žahour Jan jr., Kodet Josef, Froněk Jos., Hess Vojtěch, Smíšek Fr., Hess Tomáš, Votava Fr., Janovský Fr., Turek Karel, Prošek Jos. and Albl M. A.
The sanctuary presently has 37 members and its elected officials are:
Jan Žahour as pastor, Jos Skalák as deputy pastor, Jan Prosek as secretary, Adolf Taubr as secretary of protocol, Fr. Stádník as treasurer, Jan Exner and F. Votava as conductors and V. Kovářík and Vác. Kadleček as guards. These same officials hold these same positions today, with the exception of the pastor, who is now F. Vlna.
Czech Club No. 10
This women’s order (Sbor Čechie) of the Ancient Foresters was established on Nov. 15, 1895 in the Perun hall, a supporting club.
Its first officials were as follows:
Anna Vobořilová as chairwoman, Marie Krejsová as secretary and Kateřina Davidová as accountant.
This club started with 15 members but within a short time this increased to 50. When the Perun hall was handed over to the city, the Czech Club moved to the hall of V. Rychlík, where it has remained until today.
At the end of June, 1894 the club’s assets amounted to $714.74 and its membership stood at 55.
The Růžena Jesenská Club
The Růžena Jesenská club was established on May 29, 1888 by Mrs. Anna Záveská and Mrs. Antonia Vlachová, under the name of Taborite Circle (Kruh Táboritky) No. 52 of the Forest Association (Družsvo Lesa).
On July 24, 1893 the club changed its name from the Taborite Circle, No. 52 to Růžena Jesenská and withdrew from the Forest Association. On August 13 of the same year, the club was incorporated into the Sister Support Federation (Sesterské Podporující Jednota) as No. 5. At this point the club had a membership of thirty women.
The Růžena Jesenská club, <sbor> No. 5 of SSF <S.P.J – search throughout, and other cases..> was incorporated on May 4 of 1894, in Ohio’s city of Columbus.
Those responsible for the incorporation were: Anna Záveská, Marie Kubrna, Anna Hospodská, Cecilie Vlach and Klára Vrbský.
The club’s purpose is for its members, all worthy Czech-Slavic-American women, to support one another and to cultivate their education.
Any member fallen ill is entitled to support of $2 weekly, or $200 from the federation in the event of death. All the members of any club in which a member passes away shall attend the funeral, the club donating a flower pillow valued at $5.
The club accepts women of moral character with unblemished reputations between the ages of 18 and 45, who pay a registration fee according to their age. The club is actively involved in all cultural events and contributes what it is able.
On February 11 of 1890 the club donated $10 to purchase an item to place in the bazaar organized for the Czech Cultural Hall in Cleveland, which the club partook in and which pulled in proceeds of $30.
On February 12, 1893 <check comma thing> the club bought $25 in shares from the Czech Cultural Hall in Cleveland. <
On April 8 of 1894 a proposal was put forth and accepted for the entire body of members to become <> the Prague Education Foundation (Matice Školské v Praze), which it had been supporting according to its abilities. <
On June 10, 1894 the club donated two dollars instead of buying 10 tickets for an outing organized by the Patrons of the Czech Cultural Hall.
On August 12, based on a request from the Č.S.B.P.J. Federation for the club to take part in its ten year anniversary celebrations, the club’s committee attended in a carriage.
On October 14, 1894 the club donated $1 to T.J. Czech Sokol in Chicago. The club is now 45 women strong and holds $245.00 in movable and $50 in fixed assets.
Vlasta Club of the Czech Support Fellowship
This club is presently 62 members strong and was founded on July 11 of 1893, in the city of Cleveland, Ohio.
The first committee was made up of the following women:
Alb. Černý as chairwoman, Kat. Čanský as vice-chairwoman, Marie Kušta as secretary, Kristina Zvěřina as treasurer and Marie Zbešovská as supervisor, with the asset committee made up of Anna Růžička, Marie Kuderna and Marie Koutník, and the committee of patrons for the building of the Czech Cultural Hall in Cleveland made up of Antonie Herold, A. Šídlo and Krist. Zvěřina.
In 1894 the committee was made up of the following members:
Antonie Herold as chairwoman, Anna Votýpka as vice-chairwoman, Matilda Raus as secretary, Barbora Chvátal as accountant and Krist. Zvěřina as treasurer, with the asset committee made up of Anna Růžička, Marie Kuderna and Marie Koutník, and the committee of patrons for the building of the Czech Cultural Hall made up of Aloisia Beneš, Anna Votýpka and Antonie Herold.
This new group currently holds $680 in assets and has paid out a total of $80 in payments of $2.50 weekly to support sisters fallen ill.
If a sister passes away, her bereaved family receives $50. Although the collection is small, it fears no hurdles and is steadfast in its resolve to achieve its goals.
Antonie Herold, Chairwoman Matilda Raus, Secretary
Knights and Ladies of Honor
(Řád Rýtířů a Dám Cti)
This is a charitable organization of both male and female members, organized into supreme lodges, grand lodges and subordinates lodges.
The order is international, meaning that correspondence between the supreme and grand lodges is in the English language. The local subordinate lodges converse in their own, native languages.
The first Czech lodge in Cleveland was established on March 28, 1888, with 48 members drawing up a charter to be named Czech Lion Lodge (Lože Český Lev) No. 1294 of the Knights and Ladies of Honor.
<< file 093 – 164
On February 16, 1894, the lodge was incorporated under Ohio state laws, with the self-stated goal of supporting charitable activities and aiding one another in the event of illness or death. Each member agrees to contribute to death benefits, < while they understand that they must not be past the age of 50 and be in completely good health.
Membership of the Czech Lion Lodge presently stands at 111, which certainly reveals the strength of the free-thinking movement. 62 of the members are male while 49 are female.
As regards death benefits, 17 members pay support of $500, 62 members $1,000, 5 members $2,000 and 1 member $3,000. 26 members contribute only for sickness or emergency benefits.
Since its founding, the Czech lodge has gathered twice monthly at Václav Rychlík’s hall, located at 103 Croton Street. <repetition? Have deleted 1st sentence>
At the end of 1894 the club’s cash assets amounted to $1,1141.27 <(1,141? Or 11,141?)>. Each year the lodge celebrates the day of its founding, with proceeds from the event donated to maintain the graves of members past, and the remainder given to their orphaned children.
Club members always visit the graves to carry out maintenance on Decoration Day – the American national holiday that exists just for this purpose. The club’s members and friends of the deceased are invited to the hall, and then after a brief ceremony they take the decorations to the graves.
The club’s emblem has a red stripe for the elected officials and a blue one for members, 3 inches long and 1.5 inches wide, decorated at the top with a metal shield with the letters K. & L. of H. <hmm. Is this just their symbol, i.e. they put it on their letterheads etc? In which case emblem is fine, or crest. Or do they wear it? The bit about how its red for officials and blue for members, plus the dimensions, makes me think they wear it. In which case “emblem” is wrong and I would recommend the term “medallion”. I think the term “emblem” is used elsewhere, but as I can’t access the original I’m not sure whether the meaning is different.> At the bottom is a triangle with the letters O. M. A. Each lodge has the following officials: a protector, a vice-protector, secretary, accountant, treasurer, two conductor s, a guard and a three-member asset committee.
There are more than 1,300 such lodges in the United States and total membership on December 1 of 1894 amounted to 80,898.
Since the federation’s founding on September 6, 1877 until December 1 of 1894 it paid out death benefits amounting to $9,389,034.72 <9 million dollars??>, of which $6,500.00 went to five deceased members of the Czech Lion club.
Palacký, Lodge No. 317 – Pythian Knights
The Pythian Knights (Rytířů Pythia) was established by Just Henry Rothbone <? Justin? Or the title, Justice (i.e. he’s a judge)? > on February 15 of 1864, on 369 F. Street, Washington, D.C. At the time the founder was a student of Eagle Harbor school and was inspired by the remarkable friendship of Damon and Pythia. In 1865 the top writer of the Federal Medical Department <ledarskem spolkovem odboru> in Washington wrote introductory ceremonies based on the well-known play Damon and Pythia, to which he invited everyone he knew. With their consent he took measures towards establishing the order, which he named according to the hero of the same play. The first lodge was named in honor of the country’s father, Washington, the second to honor Franklin, the third Columbia and the fourth Potomac. Later the order expanded into Virginia and Pennsylvania. Grand lodges were established, and since 1868, when the supreme international lodge was created, the order has experienced excellent growth. The order has around half a million members and owns and runs orphanages and shelters for old members in almost every state of the union. Its highest legal body is the Supreme World Lodge <> . The supreme lodges < supervise the grand lodges, which in turn supervise over the subordinates.
Czech lodges belonging to this federation may be found in Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit and Omaha.
The Palacký Lodge, No. 317, the only Czech lodge in Ohio, was established in our city on April 17, 1889, by F.C. Končan and F. Březina. The beginnings were very promising: <> . A report in July of this year counted 37 members and assets of $406.66. An official report in July of 1895 showed membership at 206 and assets of $3,748.64. The Palacký lodge can pride itself in the fact that its members include both editors of local magazines, most of the publishers and typesetters and most of the doctors, lawyers, retailers and business owners.
Since the lodge’s founding, eight members passed away, each of whom received $75 from the lodge’s funds, their coffins adorned with flowers at a cost of $10 and a carriage provided for the closest relative. Members fallen ill, widows and orphans were paid a total of $1,596.50 by July 1st of this year.
Since the Palacký lodge is part of an international federation it takes part in all national endeavors: it supports Sunday schools, is a patron of the Czech Cultural Hall and supports all that is beautiful and noble, remaining faithful to its original purpose: to serve humanity.
Meetings are held each Friday night in the beautiful residence of J. F. Trojan on Broadway, close to Petrie Street. The lodge has the following 14 ex-chancellors (ex-chairmen): J. C. Končan, Fr. Březina, Jan Kratochvíl, Jos. Charváat, Anto. Šácha, Václav Hončík, Vojt. Soulek, Jindřich Procházka, Fr. Hesoun, Jan. F. Vachuta, Jan. E. Vorel, Tomáš Woelfel, Josef Bláha and A. J. Klečka.
The following elected officials are as follows: J. C. Karlovec as general chancellor (chairman), Jos. Dušek as vice-chancellor (deputy to the chairman), Jos. Šťastný as prelate, J. E. Vorel as labor supervisor, K. F. Tůma as archive and seal guard (secretary), J. F. Charvát as financial supervisor (accountant), F. Sluka as treasury supervisor (treasurer), Ben. J. Doležal as armorer, with Alb. Hudec and F. Štícha as the guards.
Ludvík Theater Company
Once they learned that the Czech theater company of Ludvík intended to give several performances in Cleveland, the amateur actors of F. Kysela and A. Šícha sent an invitation to all local amateur drama clubs to meet at Vác. Rychlík’s to discuss accommodation for the arriving ensemble and to put together a program for them.
This work was divided amongst the established committee, made up of both free-thinking and Catholic amateur actors, everyone acting in full agreement regardless of their beliefs.
On Friday, April 14 in the afternoon the Ludvík ensemble of 13 men and 10 women arrived at the Valley railway station to be greeted by the committee and their gracious hosts.
The guests were greeted warmly, and were pleased to find their hosts had made every effort to show that they had not forgotten the most beautiful of Slavic virtues: hospitality, even in their new country.
Every host did their best to provide a comfortable home for the guests. We only had one thing to explain: in this country everyone is equal, with no displays of bowing, hand kissing or any other form of excessive social deference, which is foreign to us. After all, both in spirit and body we are able to speak our minds, straightforwardly among equals – a trait our guests most certainly appreciated.
On Saturday night the Thalia drama club organized an excellent dinner in the hall of Slovanská Lípa, where Fr. Kysela welcomed the guests on behalf of Cleveland’s Czechs with a superb speech, to which the Ludvík’s director responded with gratitude. The Lumír choir then sang two songs and the night got off to a great start.
The Ludvík drama company performed the following plays in our city:
On Sunday, April 16 in the Jacobs Cleveland Theatre it performed Queen Barbora (Královna Barbora), then A Night in Karlstejn (Noc na Karlšteině) on April 17 at Slovanská Lípa, The Eleventh Commandment (Jedenácté přikázání) < on April 18 in the Colombia Hall, Girl with a Moustache (Dívka s knírem) and So Many Girls but Not a Man In Sight (Žádný muž a tolik děvčat) <?>on April 19 at J. Bejček’s hall, The King and the Peasant (Král a sedlák) on April 20 in F. Vachalec’s hall, The Ironworks Owner (Majitel hutí) on April 21 at Svornosti Katolické (Catholic Concord) hall, Girl with a Moustache (Dívka s knírem) and So Many Girls but Not a Man In Sight (Žádný muž a tolik děvčat) <?> again on Saturday, April 22 at Slovanká Lípa, and Gazdina’s Robe < (Gazdina roba) on Sunday, April 2 at the Jacobs Cleveland Theatre. <Should this be May? The plays seem to run in chronological order other than this last one>
All of the performances went smoothly in front of packed audiences, bringing in impressive proceeds of more than $1,800 in profits during the tour of Cleveland.
The profits certainly exceeded anything the ensemble had earned elsewhere. Once those performances were complete the entourage headed back to Detroit, Michigan.
Visitors from Back Home
The following is an excerpt from the Hospitality club <I’m assuming this is a particular club, which means it should be called the Hospitality club> for welcoming and accommodating Czech guests to the Chicago World Fair, happening at the time of writing.
By suggestion of the J.Č.D. Grand Committee of Ohio, representatives of local Czech female clubs gathered together on December 11, 1892, in the hall of V. Rychlík in order to form a committee which would be responsible for welcoming and accommodating Czechs visiting the World Fair.
The meeting was initiated by Karolina Rychlíková, who explained to all those present the meeting’s purpose, after which letters were read, proclaiming the names of the representatives from the different Cleveland female clubs, as follows:
Marie Kušta, A. Šídlo and Anna Růžička from Vlasta, Club No. 2. of J. Č. P. D.
Aloisie Sprostý, Anna Michnová and Kateřina Forejt from the Czech Patriotic Ladies (Českých Vlastenek).
Marie Macourek, Anna Kužel and Marie Vokoun from the first female Vlasta club.
Kateřina Hoffman, Marie Vopalecký and Anua Koch from the Czech Circle, No. 10. of A. F. O.
Kateřina Beránek, Marie Cipra, and Josefa Kothera from the Libuše S. P. J. club.
Frant. Franke, Marie Hájek and Marie Rokůsek from the Grand Committee of Jednota Českých Dam (J.Č.D.).
Karolina Rychlíková, Antonie Mallý and Antonie Herold from Libuše, Club No. 1 of J. Č. D.
Rozarie Stupka, Marie Hauzer and Josefa Ptáček from Ladislava, Club No 2. of J. Č. D.
Josefa Bejček, Terezie Čermák and Josefa Vácha from Vratislava, No. 6 of J. Č. D.
Anna Šácha, Anna Musil and Anna Kirian from Vlastimila, No. 9 of J. Č. D.
Antonie Metlička, Albína Černý and Anna Stádník from Blahomila, No. 16 of J. Č. D.
Marie Červenka, Kateřina Pintner, and F. Šebánek from Eliška Pešková, No. 30 of J. Č. D.
Anna Vágner, Barbora Chvátal and J. Zikán from Františka Stránecká, No. 31 of J. Č. D.
Anna Rybák, Anastazie Kuchař and Josefa Kolář from Reneta Tyršovi, No. 37 of J. Č. D.
After that the following officials were elected:
Marie Rokůsek as chairwoman, Marie Hájek as secretary and Antonie Mallý as treasurer.
Mrs. Josefa < Náprstková of Prague suggested that their members cover the costs of loaning memorable <pamatný> works of Czech women to the Chicago World Fair. They accepted wholeheartedly and decided that each female club member should contribute 20 cents for this purpose.
Other women who wanted to become members of the club had the right to take part in all the discussions once they had paid a fee of 25 cents. <
During the next meeting the following female patriots requested to take part in the discussions: Františka Dostálová, Math. Škálová, Anna Kolbová, Marie Kratochvílová, J. Humpal-Zemanová, Anna Plajšlová, Eleonora Plajšlová, Marie Ivrejsová, Helena Svobodová, Marie Pistoriusová, Marie Kohoutková, Cecilie Woelflová, M. Poláková, Marie Hrubý, Františka Doering, Františka Chalupecká, Božena Benešová and Anna Lokavská. Each of these contributed 25 cents.
Mrs. Josefa Humpal-Zemanová had described the noble purpose of this club with fine and enthusiastic words, and urged those members present to continue with their endeavors.
The following women’s clubs voted to contribute to the cause:
The Vlasta No. 2 Club of the Federation of Supporting Partners (Jednota Podporujících Družek) and the Czech Female Patriots (Českých Vlastenk) club each contributed $10.
The members of the following clubs each contributed 20 cents:
First Female Vlasta Club (První Damský Sbor Vlasta); Czech Circle (Kruh Čechie), No. 10 of A.O.F.; Libuše, Club No. 1 of J.Č.D.; Ladislava, Club No. 2 of J.Č.D.; ‘Vratislava, Club No. 6 of J.Č.D., Vlastimila, Club No. 9 of J.Č.D.; Blahomila, Club No. 16 of J.Č.D.; Eliška Pešková, Club No. 30 of J.Č.D.; Františka Stránecká, Club No. 31 of J.Č.D. and Reneta Tyrš, Club No. 37 of J.Č.D.
In order to organize a proper welcoming party for our dear Czech guests to Cleveland, the Lumír choir was invited to provide gracious entertainment.
Because the club’s chairwoman had been forced to resign from her post when she moved away from the city, A. Heroldová was voted in to take her place.