‘Czech, Please!’ wants YOU! How you can help with this exciting genealogy project
Now that you have joined us on the ‘Czech, Please!’ team, we wanted to give you some ideas about how you, as our teammate, can help this exciting genealogy and history project. We believe in K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple & Short) here at Onward To Our Past® so here we go:
1) As you go about your regular genealogy work, please keep ‘Czech, Please!’ and our mission: “To identify, document, and preserve the names and stories of the first Bohemian* settlers in the cities, towns, and rural counties across America”.
2) Review your personal genealogy and family history and identify who the earliest Bohemian* immigrants to the United States were in your family tree and submit them for our site and our ‘Czech, Please!’ map.
3) No matter where you live, please take a few moments and reach out to your local genealogy group, historical society/organization, or museum and ask what records they may have regarding the first settlers to your home area and if they know when the first Bohemian* settler(s) came.
4) One of the best aspects of genealogy is that we are, by and large, a very collaborative community so ask your friends and perhaps make an announcement at your next genealogy society meeting if any members have Bohemian* roots. If they do would they consider joining the crowdsourcing ‘Czech, Please!’ project.
5) If you have Bohemian* roots in your family, please consider asking your elder family members if they recall any stories, legends, etc. about who the local Bohemian* families or individuals were who were early settlers or arrivals in the area.
6) As you become aware of any local institutions, organizations, societies, museums, etc. that hold historic information on local Bohemian* immigrants, families, and/or settlers, submit that information to ‘Czech, Please!’ via Onward To Our Past® for our compilation of Bohemian* historic resources across America.
7) If you have any favorite or ‘go to’ reference books that cover either in total or in part Bohemians* in America, please submit their titles to ‘Czech, Please!’ via Onward To Our Past® for inclusion in our listing of valuable written resources on Bohemians* in America.
8) Most importantly, have fun and relish what you are helping to accomplish!
*Bohemia(n) refers to the ancient Kingdom of Bohemia and her peoples. This Kingdom included Bohemia, Moravia, and Silesia. This basic area would later become known by various names such as Czechoslovak Republic, Czechoslovak Socialist Republic, Czechoslovakia, and currently Czech Republic.