Czech Genealogy: Another Original Translation to English from the 1895 Edition of Amerikán Národní Kalendář.
Onward To Our Past® is pleased to announce the next in our series of original translations from their original Czech to English of articles from the exceptional Czech genealogy resource, Amerikán Národní Kalendář.
This article comes from one of the older editions of Amerikán Národní Kalendář, being from the 1895 edition. This article contains five wonderful biographies of early Bohemian immigrants who happened to be active in the Č. S. B. P. J. (Czech Slavic Brotherhood Support Federation).
These biographies easily illustrate the reason such Czech history and genealogy luminaries as Dr. G. M. Stone, Dr. Karel Bicha, and Dr. B. Garver refer to Amerikán Národní Kalendář as one of the most valuable Czech genealogical resources.
The following is the translation:
Officers of the National Main Order of the Č. S. B. P. J. (Czech Slavic Brotherhood Support Federation).
“In the midst of the vast Czech settlement of Cleveland, there is many a man of the rare and precious character that is typically Czech. There are those among the Czechs here – alas there aren’t more of them – for whom nationalism is more than just a cash cow or a guise for their dastardly and despicable ends; those among the Czechs here who embrace in their hearts the sacred national cause and their native tongue, and who never miss an opportunity to advance our Czech cause, make it prosper, flourish, and grow stronger. These people remind us of the industrious bee which brings home honey for the common good – not to make a fuss or to boast about it, but because it is required out of shared need. These kind, modest, but hard workers, include Jakub Hájek, Václav Pešek, J. Vlach, J. A. Pitner, and Ch. Lokajíček.
Jakub Hájek was born on 17 July 1854 in Třebeč, Trhové Sviny District, where his father owned a mill. At the age of 14 he was sent to Vienna as an apprentice ironworker. In the fall of 1871 he set off to cross the sea to Winona, Minnesota, from where he moved to Cleveland shortly afterwards to gain employment at the Globe Iron Works. After serving there for 15 years, he was then employed by the Cleveland Ship Building Co., which also manufactured engines and other parts for steamships. In 1889 he was offered the position of foreman at C. O. Bartlett, where he has been working ever since. Mr. Hájek has been an active participant in Club life since 1878, when he joined the 1st Catholic Union’s Association of Jan Nepomucký , although he left this fraternity because of discord and the despotic manners of the clergy therein. In 1888 the Český Lev (Czech Lion) Club was founded, which later joined Č. S. B. P. J., wherein Mr. Hájek joined as well. He was a co-founder in 1889 of the Jan Hus Club, which later joined Č. S. B. P. J., where Mr. Hájek held various offices. Thrice he has been voted the Chairman, while he also held the office of the Deputy in the Grand Order for the State of Ohio, where he was elected a Secretary. Having worked for three years as a Steward of the Jan Hus Order, he was, in recognition of his proper and conscientious work in the interest of the Union, elected an Emissary to represent it at the Cedar Rapids convention. He presently also represents the office of the Chairman of N. H. Ř.
Václav Pešek was born in 1886 in the village of Šeteč, near České Budějovice . He arrived to America in 1882, taking on odd jobs in the beginning. Soon afterwards he received employment in a workshop manufacturing woolen blankets, whereupon he soon became a foreman and also a shipping clerk. In 1894 he opened a saloon and grocery store, and joined the Vít No. 2 Lodge of the Č. S. B. P. J., where he honorably earned himself various offices. He was elected an Emissary for the Cedar Rapids convention, and now serves as a Vice-Chairman of the Union.
František Vlach was born in 1844 in the village of Broumy, Křivoklát District, Prague Region. Having completed elementary school, he trained to be a shoemaker and eventually found employ in such places as Prague, Mělník, and Terezín. In Terezín he all but found his new home, staying there for five years before heading back home, resolved to remain with his elderly parents. However, his wanderlust prevented him from abiding too long there, leaving for Plzeň District, where, in one village, he soon became a foreman and set up a workshop of his own. He also became married there. Encouraged by very hopeful letters arriving from America in those days, he too plucked up the courage to emigrate, arriving to Cleveland in 1871, accompanied by his wife and two children. With almost empty pockets, he was forced to abandon his trade, having found more favorable employment. After living in Cleveland for six months, he joined the Slavic Linden Club, which marks the beginning of admirable efforts in matters of national and fraternal unions. After Slavic Linden perished, Mr. Vlach’s attention turned to the flourishing Č. S. B. P. J.; he, jointly with several other Free-Thinking patriots, was also at the inception of the Order no. 22, “Bratři v Kruhu” (Circle of Brothers). This first success encouraged him to keep working for the common good, helping in the establishment of “Vítězslav Hálek”, no. 62 Č. S. P. S., of which he has been a member to this day. In both these clubs he was deservedly entrusted with the highest offices also being elected as an Emissary for the New York convention. In the meantime, he also founded a number of Č. S. P. O., but at the third Braidwood convention, having discovered that the management
J. A. Pintner was born in Beroun, Bohemia, on 12 November 1856 into a family of farmers. Having completed town schools at the age of 14, he trained as a machine fitter during a time which might be considered the greatest boom that trade has ever experienced. He later travelled to Saxony, Prussia, and Bavaria, and upon his return to his home of birth, he found employment as a machine fitter on the Rakovník-Protivín railway. There he worked in different positions for about two years until, in 1876, when he was conscripted into the army in Prague. Towards the end of 1877, a certain “eye haze illness” broke out in the Battalion where Mr. Pintner was serving, and it afflicted him as well. Through a doctor’s carelessness he almost completely lost his sight, a mere coincidence saving him since the doctor was sent to Bosnia and a different, better doctor took his place and cured him. He was subsequently sent to Bosnia, where disturbances were a daily occurrence and where he also had to endure the hardships of war. After soldiering for 3¾ years, he finally returned home and accepted the position of a machinist in the Beroun Sugar Mill, where he remained for a number of years. In June of 1884 he sailed to America aboard the “Elbe”, settling in Cleveland and later marrying Antonie Pintnerová. He is presently a landlord of a hospitality establishment on Clark Street. Mr. Pintner is respected and esteemed by his countrymen, and he truly deserves the trust placed unto him by the Č. S. B. P. J. For years he has held offices in the Union, elected as an accountant at the Chicago convention, and N. H. Ř.’s treasurer at the Cedar Rapids convention.
Fr. Lokajíček was born in 1841 in Lučiště, Blovice District. Having finished village school, he underwent training in the tailors’ trade, after which he set out into the world, spending 5 years in České Budějovice and 8 years in Vienna. He later returned to marry in Lomnice, where he set up his independent trade in 1866. He ran that for the next 20 years. He is an 18-year member and 8-year representative of the “Jaroslav” singer’s Club, during which time he was also a member of a community theatre, being its director over the last 6 years. During the last three years he was also a representative of a volunteer fire brigade. Then, in 1885, he left for America and the very same year became a member of the Č. S. B. P. J. He has honorably served for three years as a Chairman of the N. H. Ř., elected as its accountant three times, which is testimony to the trust he enjoys amongst his brethren.”
1) The capital of the Empire at the time.
2) Patron Saint of Bohemia.
3) Also known by its German name, Budweiss.
Don’t forget to sign up for our automatic notifications of any new postings here at Onward To Our Past® on our homepage. You won’t want to miss a single post and we never, ever sell, rent, loan, etc. names from our website.
Onward To Our Past®